Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2005, 01:13 AM

Default Actually, I do a lot of nonstandard things on the river.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

Flop: (4 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (3 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (5 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>...

Final Pot: 8 BB
Old 05-13-2005, 02:29 AM

Default Re: Actually, I do a lot of nonstandard things on the river.

I like it, as you look exactly like a flush. With that said, I wouldn't attempt this against your average 10/20er.

If this is a TAG, and one that you know to be competent enough to both valuebet a T on this river, and then fold it to a raise, this play is fantastic.

However, those types of tags are relatively few and far between, and it'd be tough to know you're pulling this move on the right one.

Basically, absent a read this is suicide IMHO, but with a read it goes from lagtastic to brilliant. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Surf
Old 05-13-2005, 05:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

Flop: (4 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (3 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (5 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>...

Final Pot: 8 BB

[/ QUOTE ]

You have no read on the player?
Without a really good read I don't like much.

Preflop: I think raising is a waste since your hand is really bad.

Flop: I like, must semibluff here.

Turn: You don't have odds to chase here. You are getting 4-1 odds, but you outs are not clean. An 8 would put a 4-straight on the board and you would lose to a J. You could also be drawing dead on the turn (unlikely, but not impossible). I don't think you can count much on implied odds since you really don't know that your hand will be good if you hit. Also I would not bet this turn if he checked again.

River: Against most opponents this raise is a waste of chips. (Again you don't have a read?) You are getting 3-1 odds on your river bluff, but I think most players would make a cryingcall with any pair.
Old 05-13-2005, 05:54 AM

Ok here's my reasoning.

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop: I think raising is a waste since your hand is really bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

I raise any two in this spot. Position + initiative + headsup=win. Flop of course is a mustbet, again with ATC.

Turn he bets into me, I put him on an 8 or some other weak a hand. A big hand checkraises me here. Normally I raise here but I'm pretty sure I have lots of outs so I just call. Plus a riverraise looks like less of a bluff.

River, I missed, but a great card fell. It's headsup and that card for sure could have helped me. Also he could have donkbet the turn with a draw, in which case I can win with a raise, but I can't just call his bluff.

-Mike