Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2005, 12:14 AM

Default I river checkraise a lot. seriously.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG folds, Button calls.

River: (6.75 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls.

Final Pot: 10.75 BB
Old 05-13-2005, 12:18 AM

Default Re: I river checkraise a lot. seriously.

My guess is that you often will miss a bet from A-high as mostly decent pairs will raise the turn, unless they are waiting till the river, in which case you again are missing a bet since you dont get a 3bet in.

What do you put him on when he calls the turn ?
Old 05-13-2005, 12:52 AM

A pair. I could not checkraise the turn in case I blew the middle player out. Once he gets out, I figure my play looks so donkish villain will bet any pair on the river. Probably bluff as well.

-Mike
Old 05-13-2005, 12:58 AM

I'm new to SH limit, so forgive me if this is a dumb question. Is the flop call appropriate with 6.5 sb? If so, why, aren't the odds of hitting the gutshot on the turn something like 10:1? Also, is the pf call standard with low suited one-gappers like this?
Thanks
Old 05-13-2005, 12:59 AM

Or is it that you assume with a flop like that, villain completely missed, and you have 6 additional outs to pair up, plus the backdoor flush?
Old 05-13-2005, 01:08 AM

I am easily getting good enough implied odds for my gutshot with 3 players in the pot. A turn checkraise of one player alone will allow me to make these odds. Plus as you mentioned I have a backdoor flush draw.

-Mike
Old 05-13-2005, 01:24 AM

These are not dumb questions. Both decisions are close. The flop call is ok if you are confident that your outs are clean, given implied odds. But in situations like this, it is more likely to overestimate than underestimate your outs. Preflop, I am folding, but I fold a lot from the blinds.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:49 AM

IMO This play is pretty bad without a read, and you didn't post one [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 05-13-2005, 05:41 AM

I love it, but im also pretty durnk, so i dunnoo if my opinion has much merit right now.
Old 05-13-2005, 05:51 AM

Think about the implied odds. You pay 1SB to call flop and you will hit turn 1/12 and pot will normally be much bigger then 6BB, in this case almost 11BB.

Read blinddefense in HEFAP, or Abduls preflopessay which u can find online, and u will see that 64s is a pretty strong hand.

I would call with 64s against any raise. Headsup against UTG I would guess my pair outs are clean cause he doenst raise 6 or 4 and against button I would think he steals with a lot so why not come in with this pretty decent hand. Multiway I would figure flush and straight outs is good enough.