Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2005, 01:18 PM

Default Note of interest from WSOP Circuit in Lake Tahoe

from Cardplayer.com

[ QUOTE ]
Tournament Director Johnny Grooms asks the players to vote whether or not to continue playing. He explained that Lake Tahoe had experienced heavy snowfall during the day, and there were rumors going around that roads were closed. (The players knew this already.) When it came time to vote, it had to be unanimous to keep playing, so a single dissenter would end the tournament today at 27 players as originally scheduled.

When Johnny Grooms asked if there were any objections, one voice said plainly and clearly, "I object," with no apology or explanation. It was Phil Ivey. Grooms then directed the playesr to start bagging and tagging their chips as they received their new seat assignments, and reminded them that nobody should berate another player for wanting to stick to the original schedule. A few people in the crowd theorized that Ivey might have objected just to annoy the other players, possibly putting them on tilt. I suppose only Ivey knows for sure, but it turned out he wasn't the only player who was happy to leave early today.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-10-2005, 01:30 PM

Default Re: Note of interest from WSOP Circuit in Lake Tahoe

I saw a similar quote on pokerwire. I would guess that Ivey was tilting a little. It looked like he lost a decent chunk of money in the last couple hours. Looks like a smart move to regain composure.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:43 PM

Anyone know where to find updates (chip amounts, finishes, etc.) on this tournament?
Old 05-10-2005, 01:45 PM

I guess they were anticipating a lot more players. This thing could have been a three day tournament easily. I believe they wrapped up play for the day before 5PM. They could have played down to the final table and finished around midnight or before. I wonder how many players they anticipated in order to set it up for a four day event.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess they were anticipating a lot more players.

[/ QUOTE ]

seems to have been the case for all of the 10K Circuit Events. these events haven't come close to matching the big WPT events.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:54 PM

pokerwire.com

My other thought is that there was a big cash game starting and he wanted to get in on that action and not waste time with the small change tourney.