Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2005, 12:07 PM

Default Deals when HU

I was playing a 25+2 last night and had been HU for a while when my opponent offered to "chop," as he put it. He said "let's just push every hand and the winner can transfer $22.50 to the loser" (1/2 the difference between 1st and 2nd). It was my last table for the night, our stacks were about even, and I suck at HU play anyway, so I was like "wtf, ok." I ended up winning the next hand and transfered his share of the money to him with a note to PS that we were splitting 1st and 2nd.

I later noticed on the PS site that they actually have a process for this. Supposedly, you can e-mail support with the subject "Tournament # (insert tournament number) chop: URGENT" and "support will come to the table to ensure a smoothly arranged deal." However, I'm thinking this is probably mainly for MTT's with bigger payouts.

Anyone think I was a nut to agree to this? My thoughts were it's only 20 bucks, so if he stiffed me, he stiffed me. Has anyone ever gone through the process of e-mailing PS for a SnG and if so, did they actually broker a deal?
Old 05-10-2005, 12:19 PM

Default Re: Deals when HU

Come on, you can't be that bad headsup.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd check, but I can't look at my stats right now. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Seriously, all I need is for my HU win % to be less than 50%, and this is a good deal, right?
Old 05-10-2005, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Seriously, all I need is for my HU win % to be less than 50%, and this is a good deal, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your HU win % depends greatly on how many chips you usually have when you get heads-up.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your HU win % depends greatly on how many chips you usually have when you get heads-up.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but not knowing how many chips I average going into heads-up play, I think 1/2 is a decent assumption, and that's how many I had in this situation.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd check, but I can't look at my stats right now. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a bit more complicated than that because you don't always start headsup with equal chips stacks or at the same blind level.

I'm usually a "play for 1st, settle for 3rd" guy, so I think I probably go into heads up play with the chip lead more often than not. I have a pretty good heads up win %, but I think a lot of that is due to how many chips I have, rather than any real headsup skill.

You may be the opposite. If you start heads up with 40% of the chips on average and win 45% of the time, you are doing quite well.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:50 PM

Now I have heard it all.

How are you going to fit that into your AM spreadsheet?
Old 05-10-2005, 12:57 PM

I've done this plenty of times, mostly in the $200's and $500's when I was heads up, against a known opponent who I respected and trusted, the blinds were huge, and the chips were near even. I don't see anything wrong with reducing a tiny bit of variance this way - I'd just push every hand anyway once the blinds got to 400-800 or higher. I've probably done it 15-20 times, and I've never had a problem with the transfer. I've also had people offer me chops when I was outchipped 60-40% or so. I'll take those every single time, regardless of the opponent.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Now I have heard it all.

How are you going to fit that into your AM spreadsheet?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he has stopped keeping track of his result, so i don't think it will be a problem.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:07 PM

There is an easier way that just "push every hand" Usually the way it goes is.
Player A offers a deal
Player B accepts
Payer A sez somthing like " ok raise 10,000 then fold"
this is the deal sealer
then player B continues to Raise and fold
Player A transfers $$

NeBlis