Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2005, 10:19 AM

Default Up against 2 fish - did I play this right?

Both fish were VP$IP >60% and PFR ~ 2%. I had a pretty solid read on Fish 1 (100+ hands) and a weak read on Fish 2 (about 30 hands). I really had no idea what they could have had and am wondering if I played this right. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'll post results later on.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 :#A500AF(Fish 1)/ calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO :#A500AF(Fish 2)/ calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, Fish 1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Fish 2 bets</font>, SB folds, Hero calls, Fish 1 calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, Fish 1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Fish 2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Fish 1 calls, Fish 2 calls.

River: (9.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Fish 1 bets</font>, Fish 2 calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12.50 BB
Old 05-10-2005, 10:21 AM

Default Re: Up against 2 fish - did I play this right?

I'd probably bet this flop. Betting the turn is much better than check/raising the turn, do you see why?
Old 05-10-2005, 10:21 AM

Flop &amp; turn. Bet yourself and reraise the hell out of the turn.

The river check/call is fine on a double paired board
Old 05-10-2005, 10:25 AM

I prefer to bet the flop. If everybody calls, that's fine since I get value on my flush draw. If a few people fold, maybe I can pick this up on the turn as a semibluff. Check-calling isn't necessarily bad but it's not standard line either.

You have to bet the turn. Check-raising is bad because you don't want to blast anybody out of the pot. (It's very unlikely anyone is folding a hand that threatens you, so you might as well build a pot).

Your play on the river is fine, except next time be sure not to double-pair the board.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:28 AM

Get at em' on that turn, bro.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:59 AM

Thanks for the input. OK, I see I should have bet the turn. It would be a disaster if it checked through. Also, my RR of Fish 2's bet could/should have driven out Fish 1 and possibly even Fish 2 if he's bluffing. So I might only get 1 bet total out of them. If I bet out, they probably call and maybe raise. Is that better? Is this thinking more clear than whatever I was thinking at the table? I hated the river don't see how I could bet out after they already called my check-raise on the turn. Thanks guys!

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has 8c 6c (flush, jack high).
Fish 1 has As Ac (two pair, aces and nines).
Fish 2 has Qh Ad (two pair, nines and fives).
Outcome: Hero wins 12.50 BB. </font>
Old 05-10-2005, 11:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the input. OK, I see I should have bet the turn. It would be a disaster if it checked through.

[/ QUOTE ]

It also has the benefit of trapping a third player rather than raising to shut him out.