Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2005, 03:55 AM

Default QQ popped on the turn

5/10 on Party, this is my first orbit, no reads

Hero dealt Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] UTG

Hero raises, MP calls, LP calls, BB calls

Flop 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Hero bets, MP calls, LP calls, BB folds

Turn 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Hero bets, MP calls, LP raises, Hero???

I figure it's unlikely LP called 2 cold with a hand that makes 2 pair here, so he could easily have a hand like A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and be looking to check through on the river unimproved. With MP in there too there's a lot of river cards I don't want to see. Any logic to 3-betting here?

-Solo
Old 05-10-2005, 04:04 AM

Default Re: QQ popped on the turn

Three-betting doesn't fold LP, but it might fold MP. With 9 big bets in the pot, making a move to isolate seems logical enough, and if you face MP with 11:2 odds, he's correct to fold anything but a REALLY strong draw. Also, you've got enough pot equity that this bet is for value independent of the folding equity. If you get capped, however, you need to check/call the river unless a miracle Q comes up -- it's always possible that LP has a set that he slow-played, and with a turn cap, that becomes far more likely.

NOTE: if this hand were at the 2/4 tables, I would say just to call, since it's far more likely you're behind: after all, the weak players at 2/4 are far more likely to have called a preflop raise with some nonsense like 22, 44, or T4, and are far more likely to have called the flop bet with 88. Since lucky hands that should have folded don't fold as often at the very low limits, you can't trust your overpairs as much. Also, since the very low-limit players tend to be more passive, a turn raise indicates much more power than it would with more aggressive players.