Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2002, 02:03 AM

Default PLHE Raise or fold?

PStars $50 PLHE. ~100 Players to start, about 25 left, 9 places pay. Blinds 200-400. I have a below average but not desperate stack of ~3600 and post the BB of 400.

I am dealt TT. Folds to the player two off of the button who makes it 1400 to go (His stack is ~2400 before the raise). A solid player on the button reraises all-in for a total of 1800. SB folds. Do I reraise the orignal raiser all in or fold?
Old 11-26-2002, 04:45 AM

Default Re: PLHE Raise or fold?

Fold
Old 11-26-2002, 10:29 AM

Fold seems the best play.

Ken Poklitar
Old 11-26-2002, 12:46 PM

Ok two votes for fold plus mine is 3. What would you need to go in here? AK/JJ?
Old 11-26-2002, 01:52 PM

"A solid player on the button reraises all-in for a total of 1800"

It's unlike he would raise here with AA or KK, better to let the blinds slip in, being a solid player AK,AQ and maybe AJ, but QQ or JJ looks like the most likely hand.

I would fold.

MS Sunshine
Old 11-26-2002, 02:58 PM

I think it's a lot closer than everyone thinks. Would anyome call or reraise with JJ? If so, then TT is close, right?

The first raiser is in steal position, and if he's any good, he could have a very wide range of hands (and this is PokerStars, so the answer is yes). Now the button player is solid, knows that and takes a stand with a hand that really does not have to be a premium. He could easily have 88 or AJ, IMO.

That said, it's a crappy situation to be in one way or the other. You most likely are against 2-3 overcards, maybe an overpair. And you can't reraise to make the initial raiser fold, as he should call with everyhand, since he's only got 1K left.

I'd say fold or call and bet the flop all-in. But I believe it's close, and I'm not so sure either way, without doing the math.
Old 11-26-2002, 02:59 PM

"A solid player on the button reraises all-in for a total of 1800"
leads to:
"It's unlikely he would raise here with AA or KK, better to let the blinds slip in..."

Sunshine, I couldn't possibly disagree with this second statement more, especially if he has a hand like KK, which is a big favorite over any hand heads-up (except AA, of course), but loses tons of value for every additional player that enters the pot. Very few solid players would risk losing the pot in a tournament to triple or quadruple up (in a ring game, the decision is much different). I argue that they would re-raise and be content to take the 600 in blinds plus the 1800 from the original raiser (when he calls) and minimize the risk of getting knocked out.

Having said that, I absolutely agree that it's a fold. As for re-raising all-in from the BB, I think you should do it with AK, AA, KK, QQ and maybe JJ and AQs. Nothing else. There will be much better chances to risk half your stack.

JD
Old 11-26-2002, 04:04 PM

KK does not lose tons of value when another player enters the pot unless that player has AA. For a short stack that is going to need to double through a few times anyhow, the KK should want to be against 2 players rather than 1 because it is so +EV. It will be hard to find a better spot to get your money in before you are blinded away.

That being said, I doubt most players would flat call 1400 preflop when they only have 400 more. It seems fairly pointless and probably gives away your hand more than it entices the blinds to call.
Old 11-26-2002, 04:14 PM

Yes I thought it was somewhat close too.

Here's my thoughts:

I think that going all is likely +EV, but it is still probably incorrect since you are likely to find a better situation when you can be the agressor to get your chips in. Even though the reraiser should have a pretty good hand, you likely gain a lot of equity from the original raiser who figures to have a wide range of hands. I don't like the call and bet the flop idea here since the raiser would only have about 600 in a 5600 pot. I don't see what he could possibly fold, and anything bad enough to fold there you would probably prefer all in preflop.

The minimum I put the reraiser on was AJs/AQ/99 so we are pretty close on that. I don't think he'd have much worse since he had enough chips left to make a decent raise and would surely rather get his chips in at an agressor since his reraise here is more like a call.
Old 11-26-2002, 06:30 PM

Considering your stack size and the number of players left, I think this is an easy fold.