Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2005, 01:57 PM

Default AK and AT hands for review

A couple of hands for review:

HAND 1 - I'm struggling with how to play AK when I raise pre-flop and get one caller but miss the flop. In this hand I have about 21000 and the BB has me covered by just a little bit.

Blinds are 600/1200 and it is folded to me in MP with AK. I raise to 3000 and the BB calls. Flop is 7 high rainbow and I bet 4000 into a pot of 6600 and BB calls. Turn is a T and I bet 7000 into a pot of 13200 and I get reraised all-in. Pretty easy laydown for me? I folded since I was pretty sure he had me beat and he showed pocket 7's for a flopped set. Obviously he was going to the felt with that hand. Were my flop and turn bets the correct size to get small pair, drawing hand or two overcards to fold?

HAND 2 - Shortly after the AK hand I was down to 6000 in chips with the blinds at 800/1600. 130 players left and it pays top 120. Big money was at the final table as always. I was the BB with AT offsuit and an EP short stack went all-in for 4500. Folded around to me and I am getting about 2.4-1 to call. Easy call?

If I lose this pot I will be anted out before the blinds come back around. I called and was in great position to win the hand against A5 but he sucked out on me with a 5 on the flop.

I made the right call in this instance but is this a correct call against a range of hands the small stack would push with on the money bubble?
Old 05-09-2005, 02:23 PM

Default Re: AK and AT hands for review

bump
Old 05-09-2005, 02:32 PM

Hand 1: I think it's fine to take a shot on the flop, but once he calls you I think you have to check/fold to any decent-sized bet. I would not usually make that turn bet, unless I had a very strong read that villain was a little crazy.

Hand 2: I would probably call with AT here - you have less than 4xBB and he has less, so he is forced to make this move with almost any Ace, any two face cards, any small pair and even some suited connectors, Kx suited, etc.

You will get more and better advice if you don't post the results of the hand, I think.
Old 05-09-2005, 03:35 PM

well with the ak,i don't like making it look like a blind steal attempt,i'd be inclined to raise much more,and push almost any flop if called,but i'm crazy with ak,i'm sure your line is just fine!