Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2005, 12:42 PM

Default does hypnotism wear off?

wear off is the wrong term, but anyway...
suppose one could be hypnotized to for instance not get angered due to traffic (road rage). ok alls fine no more anger. but now this person is still driving every day in the same traffic over and over. will this person "relearn" and redevelop the anger problem because of their personality, or will the hypnosis have altered this person in such a way that it prevents it from occurring?
when a person is hypnotized to quit smoking, is the desire to smoke removed or does the person just think cigs are disgusting tasting or both or what? if it was just that the person didnt desire a cig anymore, could they again become addicted if for some reason they started smoking again (due to other reasons than their previous addiction. people arent addicted when they initially start smoking).
to use computer terms, i guess im trying to understand if hypnosis reprograms you or quarantines your problem or?
Old 05-09-2005, 02:44 PM

Default Re: does hypnotism wear off?

[ QUOTE ]
wear off is the wrong term, but anyway...
suppose one could be hypnotized to for instance not get angered due to traffic (road rage). ok alls fine no more anger. but now this person is still driving every day in the same traffic over and over. will this person "relearn" and redevelop the anger problem because of their personality, or will the hypnosis have altered this person in such a way that it prevents it from occurring?
when a person is hypnotized to quit smoking, is the desire to smoke removed or does the person just think cigs are disgusting tasting or both or what? if it was just that the person didnt desire a cig anymore, could they again become addicted if for some reason they started smoking again (due to other reasons than their previous addiction. people arent addicted when they initially start smoking).
to use computer terms, i guess im trying to understand if hypnosis reprograms you or quarantines your problem or?

[/ QUOTE ]

i wouldn't be suprised if hypnosis reprograms instead of quarantines, it's a pretty amazing and powerfull thing

yeah but i don't really know
Old 05-09-2005, 02:58 PM

Hypnosis is just the power of suggestion. It doesn't reprogram anything or solve any problems on its own. The person being hypnotized still has to do all the work.

http://www.skepdic.com/hypnosis.html
Old 05-09-2005, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hypnosis is just the power of suggestion. It doesn't reprogram anything or solve any problems on its own. The person being hypnotized still has to do all the work.

[/ QUOTE ]

what do you mean 'on it's own'? isn't it assumed that the person's own mind is doing the work to 'reprogram' itself?
Old 05-09-2005, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is well written and accurate, to the best of my knowledge. "Hypnosis" occurs any time one is in a suggestible mental state. Consciously choosing to enter such a state can be useful, or foolish, depending on the purpose and the suggestions.
Old 05-09-2005, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is well written and accurate, to the best of my knowledge. "Hypnosis" occurs any time one is in a suggestible mental state. Consciously choosing to enter such a state can be useful, or foolish, depending on the purpose and the suggestions.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pretty much it.

Whilst studying for my doctorate in psychology, I ran headlong into one practicum prof who was generally of the opinion that hypnosis can be used to solve all life's ills. He described it little differently than you just did.

He spent an undue amount of time teaching us how to do hypnotherapy coupled with flat-footed behavioral interventions.

Basically, you can tell that I'm not hugely impressed by the whole thing, even though I have actually been trained for it.

Where I would find it useful is a way to simultaneously make someone suggestible, while providing a convenient ritual to "blame" the change on, so they wouldn't have to consider that they had it within themselves to implement whatever change was desired, all along.

Or, to summarize, I just call it a "stupid suggestibility trick."
Old 05-09-2005, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...Or, to summarize, I just call it a "stupid suggestibility trick."

[/ QUOTE ]

One could argue that commercial television amounts to exactly that.
Old 05-09-2005, 06:14 PM

I think that's a fair argument, and not entirely off the mark.

Excuse me. I'm gonna go be hip-mo-tyzed!
Old 05-09-2005, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pretty much it.

Whilst studying for my doctorate in psychology, I ran headlong into one practicum prof who was generally of the opinion that hypnosis can be used to solve all life's ills. He described it little differently than you just did.

He spent an undue amount of time teaching us how to do hypnotherapy coupled with flat-footed behavioral interventions.

Basically, you can tell that I'm not hugely impressed by the whole thing, even though I have actually been trained for it.

Where I would find it useful is a way to simultaneously make someone suggestible, while providing a convenient ritual to "blame" the change on, so they wouldn't have to consider that they had it within themselves to implement whatever change was desired, all along.

Or, to summarize, I just call it a "stupid suggestibility trick."

[/ QUOTE ]
why do we see people be hypnotized, and then when they are "snapped out of it", they claim to not remember anything ? are they lying? when you say its trick, you would think theyd be aware. if they arent aware, it would seem to be more than a trick, no?
Old 05-09-2005, 07:27 PM

If they don't remember, they're just being overly cooperative.

There have been several studies done that show that hypnosis isn't any altered "trancelike" state, but just a level of heightened concentration and suggestibility.