Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2005, 05:33 AM

Default Thoughts on turn

Taking a first stab at 2/4. Just sat down.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (6.25 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 folds, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 caps</font>, Hero calls.

3-bet figuring I was ahead of UTG+1 and to knock out BB. When it's capped, I'm pretty sure I'm behind. With no reads, should I let this go right then?

River: (15.25 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 17.25 BB

If calling his cap means I read him for a draw, is the Js another reason to fold?
Old 05-09-2005, 05:45 AM

Default Re: Thoughts on turn

I like 3-betting his check/raise on the turn because a hand like T9 is no good and, as you said, you could get it heads up. I definitely call his cap, and I'll probably call a river bet against an unknown, too. You'd be surprised how often you'll win because of the paired board, particularly bad players don't see their two pair is corrupted.

Either way, you'll see what he went nuts on the turn with when you call. I think I play the whole hand the same.
Old 05-09-2005, 06:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I definitely call his cap, and I'll probably call a river bet against an unknown, too.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you call the turn you MUST call the river, since hadn't odds to draw.

[ QUOTE ]
I like 3-betting his check/raise on the turn because a hand like T9 is no good

[/ QUOTE ]
This ain't a good reason to 3-bet.

[ QUOTE ]
You'd be surprised how often you'll win because of the paired board, particularly bad players don't see their two pair is corrupted.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't agree. The only hand that got counterfeited is T9 and it takes a really bad player to check/raise that hand.

That being said, I don't know what to do on the turn. I find these situations when I feel like being behind but still need to raise fold a 3rd player hard. I do believe this hand is played correct.

EDIT: maybe I'm overestimating the times the check/raise is by a hand like AT? Maybe calling the turn is better? And to get an overcall on the turn isn't that bad since the only hands we fear is hands like KT/A9. Hands like JT don't have the odds to call even 1 bet. I would like some more opinions on this turn...
Old 05-09-2005, 06:23 AM

Aside from T9, the only hands that he doesn't beat are TT and 99 or a limped 2, and I suppose KK and AA. If he's on TT or 99, you have 4 outs to beat them. He almost has odds to draw to that calling the turn cap. If he limped a 2, he gets a new buddy.

Edit: Bleh, teaches me to try to think while this tired.
Old 05-09-2005, 06:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Aside from T9, the only hands that he doesn't beat are TT and 99 or a limped 2, and I suppose KK and AA. If he's on TT or 99, you have 4 outs to beat them. He almost has odds to draw to that calling the turn cap. If he limped a 2, he gets a new buddy.

[/ QUOTE ]
But check/raising in a protected pot is a sign of strength. And add 22 to the hands that beats us. And don't count the 2's as outs.
Old 05-09-2005, 06:30 AM

I think I'm ahead more often than not here.

Edit: Fixed stupidity
Old 05-09-2005, 06:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm counting them as outs because I think I'm ahead more often than not here.

[/ QUOTE ]
Huh?

[ QUOTE ]
But, if you're behind, they're outs against two of his more likely holdings.

[/ QUOTE ]
And that would be?
Old 05-09-2005, 06:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm counting them as outs because I think I'm ahead more often than not here. But, if you're behind, they're outs against two of his more likely holdings.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahead of what hands? If you're ahead, you don't need outs.

[ QUOTE ]
But, if you're behind, they're outs against two of his more likely holdings.

[/ QUOTE ]

What are they outs against?
Old 05-09-2005, 06:34 AM

It's late, I'm trying to make 2s full beat tens full. I need to go to bed.
Old 05-09-2005, 06:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That being said, I don't know what to do on the turn. I find these situations when I feel like being behind but still need to raise fold a 3rd player hard. I do believe this hand is played correct.

EDIT: maybe I'm overestimating the times the check/raise is by a hand like AT? Maybe calling the turn is better? And to get an overcall on the turn isn't that bad since the only hands we fear is hands like KT/A9. Hands like JT don't have the odds to call even 1 bet. I would like some more opinions on this turn...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going back and forth on this myself. I think some players will check-raise the turn with a T or something since they think they're safe cuz no A or K is out there. Forcing the BB to call 2 cold is nice, but he probably only has 3 outs cuz he's not folding a flush draw and he still has good odds anyway. He may have an OESD, but with KJ or J8, hitting that Q is money for Hero. The problem with 3-betting is that, if villain caps we're put in a tough spot. I wouldn't want to fold this against an unknown, but how often are we ahead here - really once he caps AND the spade hits the river we shouldn't be calling. So, since I don't want to fold this, I think I'm calling down starting on the turn.