Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2005, 10:32 PM

Default Gutshot and Throw away Pocket Kings hands

Hi Guys!

Was I correct to continue to play for the Gutshot in this first hand?

If I didn't have the correct odds, I had to be close enough to contiune to play.

Right?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, SB calls, Hero calls, UTG folds, MP1 folds.

Turn: (8.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, SB folds.

River: (10.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

Final Pot: 12.50 BB

In this second hand was there a spot to throw away the pocket Kings earlier?

There were tons of calling stations in this game and I knew they weren't going to fold.

I was just hoping an Ace didn't show on the Turn and then I was going to get more aggressive.

I had already been cracked with pocket Kings earlier.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, MP2 calls, Hero calls, SB calls.

Turn: (8.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP2 calls, Hero calls, SB calls.

River: (12.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Hero folds, SB calls, MP1 calls.

Final Pot: 18.50 BB

Thanks!
Old 05-08-2005, 10:57 PM

Default Re: Gutshot and Throw away Pocket Kings hands

Hand 1: With implied odds, you can peal on off against the flop raise.

But when you hit, go for the checkraise and try to trap SB for more bets.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:07 PM

I think you need to fold in hand one getting 6.5-1 given the fact that it puts a 4str8 on the board and your overcard is very tainted.

You need to raise flop in hand two. Pot is not that big to be waiting for the turn and you need to charge draws and put money in the pot with your excellent hand. Plus if he has a flush or str8 draw he may check to you on the turn anyway.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:35 PM

Hand 1: Calling the flop bet is actually 7.5-1 immediate, plus when the original better just calls the raise or any of the other players calls 2 cold you get even better odds than 7.5-1. Plus, you also have a draw to runner-runner KQ straight and a J overcard and an easy checkraise opportunity if you hit the gutshot. I add all that together and say peal one off on the flop.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:46 PM

In hand 1 you are getting 8:1 on your call and you need about 11:1 to make a call profitable. I don't think you can close that gap with implied odds. Also consider, that you are not closing the action (MP1 might 3bet). Fold, and I don't think it's close.

In hand 2 you need to bet/3bet the flop. Make the good draws pay the maximum, and get the weaker ones to fold. Not being aggressive on the flop makes it difficult to play the turn, but I think calling is fine, since we can't really put anyone on an ace.
Old 05-09-2005, 02:03 PM

Hand 1 is fine. You got some overcard outs and implied odds that make this an easy peel.

Hand 2 you really need to raise this flop 100% of the time.
Old 05-09-2005, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In hand 1 you are getting 8:1 on your call and you need about 11:1 to make a call profitable. I don't think you can close that gap with implied odds. Also consider, that you are not closing the action (MP1 might 3bet). Fold, and I don't think it's close.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't think he can get 2 bets on the turn/river? I think he can get 2 bets on the turn alone, not to mention his J may be good.

Hand 2 - you need to raise this flop every time.

-d
Old 05-09-2005, 02:11 PM

Flop call is close in hand 1 when you aren't closing the action. With a diamond I'd call, it's not big deal tho. I think not check raising the turn is a big deal though, take advantage of your position to the raiser.
Old 05-09-2005, 02:20 PM

Hand 1: The question is, did you have the implied odds to call the raise on the flop? After the fact, we can see that you did not. (You only won 9.5 BB on our 1BB investment.) On the other hand, if you had check-raised the turn, you probably could have gotten at least 1 BB more. In any case, I don't think it matters on the flop if you fold or call.

Hand 2: Raise the flop (both times you could have). This is a perfect hand protection/value raise.