Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2005, 07:17 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand
Default Subtle racism/prejudice exercise

Not sure where to post this, but I think of it as a psychological exercise. So I put it in here.

When you describe an event that involves people, and someone from another race is involved, do you add their race to the description? You may be suprised at how often you do this. It's almost as if it really makes a difference to the story. For example, you mention 3 guys but note that one of them is black, not mentioning the other 2, so everyone hearing it likely assumes they're the same race as you.

I used to do this until long ago, close to after I grad from highschool, I made a conscious effort not to. It was hard at first. I'd catch myself and stumble a little during the story when at that part of the story. I still do it sometimes.

One thing you will notice is how often other people do this. It will just click inside you and make you stop and ask (usually to yourself) if it matters what the race of the person is in regards to the story.

Being white, Im not sure how common this is in other ethnicities. It's very common in whites.

So, how often do you use the description of one's race in a story that is race irrelevant? Do you realize if you're even doing it?

b
Old 05-08-2005, 11:56 AM

Default Re: Subtle racism/prejudice exercise

Very true, however, when I lived in Central Africa (as a child), if you mentioned someone's skin colour it was white (even though I am very white) "this man said I was a great football player " was a black guy, otherwise it would be "this mundeli [white guy] said I was a great football player"

So maybe it's just that we assume unspecified people belong to the majority group in the community we live in.
Old 05-08-2005, 02:06 PM

so this black guy, an hispanic and a priest walk into a bar...

like that, you mean? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-08-2005, 02:26 PM

I try not to, though I know that I slip up sometimes.

I find it harder not slipping up when I am describing a specific person.
Old 05-08-2005, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

So, how often do you use the description of one's race in a story that is race irrelevant?

[/ QUOTE ]

Details are never irrelevant - when telling a story, you're painting a picture, and as much information you can give as possible helps relay to the person hearing the story what's going on in your yarn.

There are legitimate points of racism in our society, calling things racist that aren't deflects from those true areas, desensitizing most to the situations, and thereby causing more harm than good. Much like how sexual harassment in the work place now is a joke ... and when someone is actually sexually harassed, most won't believe as they know the stupid stories of people getting fired over idiotic comments that are anything but what the laws were intended for.

In short: if people are concerned about racism, go to the places where it's obvious, because by looking at the fringe you do far more harm to your cause then if you said nothing.

And certainly that isn't your intent.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com
Old 05-08-2005, 06:58 PM

It seems to me that walking on eggshells in regards to a person's race is unnatural and an overreaction to racism. We should be comfortable with our racial diversity. Racial diversity enriches us and race IS relevant. It's part of each of our personal family histories and cultures from which we came. Sure, there are times when it's silly to point it out. But as far as I'm concerned, nothing about me, including my race, is "irrelevant".

Funny thing though. I think my race IS irrelevant to this post.

PairTheBoard
Old 05-08-2005, 07:19 PM

I think that when telling stories we tend to mention all irregularities in the scene... for instance if you're telling a story that took place in a bar you might mention that it was a funky old bar if it were irregular to what you and the person that you were talking to. the fact that the bar was funky and old might not have anything to do with the story but since it was an irregularity with what you're used to it warented mentioning...

I think the same thing goes for race. I notice phenomina you mention, but i think it's because i'm form a very white city suburb. I've also noticed that people tend to mention ethnic abnormalities in addition to simply racial ones. for instance if i were telling a story might mention that some one was very italian or irish in addition to mentioning races.

despite this i'm sure that by mentioning anything to do with someones race, ethnicity or religion as an aside in a conversation will draw to mind past expereces or stereo types of whatever group. this grouping of people does seem a bit unfair to the individual even if it isn't racism.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
despite this i'm sure that by mentioning anything to do with someones race, ethnicity or religion as an aside in a conversation will draw to mind past expereces or stereo types of whatever group

[/ QUOTE ]

That's one of the interesting aspects. The prejudice/stereotypicalness of it. Like knowing someones' race during the story that really has nothing to do with the story. I've also noted how I react when hearing it. Not just noticing someone else saying it, but how I react to hearing it. Whether it makes me visualize the story better. It's interesting.

[ QUOTE ]
for instance if i were telling a story might mention that some one was very italian or irish in addition to mentioning races.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true. Primarily, I think, if one of them has an accent. Then it can help color the story a bit. Especially if they use terms that are different. But if everything is completely equal...

For instance, if they were irish and italian yet spoke perfect english, you likely wouldn't bother to then specify their nationalities. But one would based on visual differences pertaining to race.

b
Old 05-09-2005, 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
calling things racist that aren't deflects from those true areas, desensitizing most to the situations, and thereby causing more harm than good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, Im not talking about someone maliciously telling a story with a racist agenda. Which is why I coupled it with prejudice. It probably would work better with just saying stereotypes of people.

[ QUOTE ]
when telling a story, you're painting a picture, and as much information you can give as possible helps relay to the person hearing the story what's going on in your yarn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree to a point. There are some stories that it doesn't matter at all what race the person is. Say it's about a guy at a gas station taking forever in line. That's why you're late somewhere. But when you tell it, you accentuate it by saying this black guy in front of you was holding up the line. It doesn't matter if the guy was black.

[ QUOTE ]
Much like how sexual harassment in the work place now is a joke ... and when someone is actually sexually harassed, most won't believe as they know the stupid stories of people getting fired over idiotic comments that are anything but what the laws were intended for

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, it can get ridiculous. The petty ones are usually based on whether the guy is attractive in the eyes of the gal being harassed. If it's an attractive guy, well then, they're flattered. But Jimbo in accounting who doesn't really keep himself up that well? Naw, he says the same thing and is canned for it.

b
Old 05-09-2005, 12:29 AM

i do this all the time. i think its often very important to a story because most racial stereotypes are often accurate.