Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2005, 10:21 PM

Default Three of a kind on the flop -- where to set the throttle?

Button is somewhat typical, leaning towards tight... nothing out of line so far. Rest of the table is a mix of a few rocks and some average to loosey-goosey folks. My main questions are did I play this too slow by going for overcalls on the flop and turn? Should I have just been betting and raising the whole way? How do I maximize the pot here?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (7 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls, BB calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls, BB folds, MP2 calls.

River: (10.50 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 folds, Button calls.

Final Pot: 12.50 BB
Old 05-07-2005, 10:32 PM

Default Re: Three of a kind on the flop -- where to set the throttle?

I would have led the flop, but if you're not going to, definitely consider leading into the button on the turn and seeing if you can get him to raise.
Old 05-07-2005, 11:56 PM

Your hand is very strong but really succeptible to draws (especially spade draws). You don't want to slow-play this as though it were unbeatable; you want to drag the beast down as quickly as possible.

On the flop you can either lead or check-raise. Button hands you the perfect opportunity to face the field with calling two -- TAKE IT.

Turn is relatively safe -- punish drawers. After reraising the flop, I lead this turn, but given that you smooth-called the flop, it's time to check-raise. Again, Button gives you the perfect chance to fold the field with a big ol' two-bet...you can't pass these chances up. Even with a set, you should be pushing this hand VERY hard; with trips you have to push even harder.

On the river, you can't afford the chance that Button takes the free showdown; betting is the way to do it.

You're winning this hand more than 50% of the time, the pot is relatively large at every stage, and you have scary draws that you need to drive away. Bet, raise, and reraise -- push HARD, all hand long.
Old 05-08-2005, 04:02 AM

Ok, you played this altogether too passive. I would lead the flop every time. Sine you didn't I would 3-bet when it gets back to me. You have to get a bet in on the turn check/calling is horrible.
Old 05-08-2005, 05:43 AM

"Again, Button gives you the perfect chance to fold the field with a big ol' two-bet...you can't pass these chances up"

also if you've got an unlikely straight draw out there, the 8 fills you up. push the turn hard and make them call two, or even 3 when your read on the button is right.
Old 05-08-2005, 05:50 AM

I see no reason not to bet this flop.
Old 05-08-2005, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I see no reason not to bet this flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

With six opponents, I might check this flop as first to act, hoping for an opportunity to raise. The odds that someone drops a dime on this board are pretty high -- people are bound to have overcards, and even a loose 4 looks pretty good here.

However, I see no reason not to stuff this flop: the only reason I'd check is to go for a check-raise.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your hand is very strong but really succeptible to draws (especially spade draws). You don't want to slow-play this as though it were unbeatable; you want to drag the beast down as quickly as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's true, and I'm not sure why I didn't think of that at the time. I only remember thinking "I have a great hand, but if I bet out, I probably won't get much money out of it, because I doubt that flop hit too many people." But with that many people in, I'd be bound to get one or two staying in with me, and it would indeed really stink to get drawn out on.

In fact, when I posted this, looking back over it, I was a little confused as to why I played it so passively. It's funny how a day or two and seeing the whole hand at once in front of you can make a difference in your thought process. So I agree with everyone here -- I should have been betting out, or at least check-raising.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!
Old 05-08-2005, 10:09 PM

Last night someone posted a hand where he slowplayed a set.
A poster responded, "Slow-played sets make Baby Jesus weep."
Funniest think I'd seen in a long time. I think the same applys here.