Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2005, 03:59 AM

Default 97s, river value bet?

This table is pretty passive. Most hands don't see a preflop raise, hence the limp. SB seems a bit rockish, he doesn't play many hands except out of the blinds. He doesn't raise without a very strong hand, but I don't see any otherwise outrageous behaviour.

The flop play is a bit marginal. I thought the button might fold to the bet which makes the rest of the hand a bit easier to play. Good? Bad? I think the turn play is a bit clearer. My main question is about the river play. Do I have a value bet here?

PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button folds, SB calls, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds.

Turn: (4.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, UTG+1 folds.

River: (6.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero...?
Old 05-07-2005, 04:02 AM

Default Re: 97s, river value bet?

I check. I don't think a worse hand will call
Old 05-07-2005, 04:10 AM

Would a rockish player be calling all this way with a hand worse than yours? He probably has to have at least a nine/better kicker. If not then that means your read is wrong and you've been lying to us because a rock wouldn't be calling with anything less.
Old 05-07-2005, 04:15 AM

Yeah, I agree. It looks like you're ahead, but only rarely will a worse hand call here.
Old 05-07-2005, 04:19 AM

He's tight PF but will usually play from the blinds. His postflop play is more difficult to judge apart from never raising without a monster.

It's okay, I'm not lying to you.
Old 05-07-2005, 04:25 AM

If he won't raise without a monster then he could conceivably be calling with trip T's/marginal kicker. Does he play any 2 from the SB? If so it could be trip T's/pansy kicker.
Old 05-07-2005, 05:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If he won't raise without a monster then he could conceivably be calling with trip T's/marginal kicker. Does he play any 2 from the SB? If so it could be trip T's/pansy kicker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure about any 2, but he completes quite often.

When I was playing this hand, I was just thinking "I probably have the best hand" so I bet. He called and showed trip Ts. I need to start thinking more like the responses here as to whether or not someone will call me with a worse hand. Thanks for the responses. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-07-2005, 10:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure about any 2, but he completes quite often.

When I was playing this hand, I was just thinking "I probably have the best hand" so I bet. He called and showed trip Ts. I need to start thinking more like the responses here as to whether or not someone will call me with a worse hand. Thanks for the responses. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
If you can assume vilian never folds a better hand then villian needs to call with a hand you beat 55% of the time in order for you to be able to value bet (it's %55 not %50 to compensate for the times he's planning a c/r) . If you think he will call with hands you beat less than %55 of the time check it through. The one was a pretty clear check behind.
Old 05-07-2005, 10:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I check. I don't think a worse hand will call

[/ QUOTE ]

I see people decide to call down with a small pocket pair often enough to disagree with you here. I mean, I definitely check behind, I just wouldn't say no worse hands will call.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:40 PM

check behind. your kicker sux even if your 2nd pair is good.