Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2005, 02:29 AM

Default The greatest embarressment - question about headsup

I was playing at a superfishy table (nl25,6max). And since im practicing on a laggy style everyone thought I was a moron. But thats ok since I usually end up with the cash. However this time I suffered disgusting beats and lost 4 buyins in one hour. I was nearly tilting at that piont and made some moves to get action. And the clowns get cute and treat me like a fish. Normally I wouldnt care but regarding my state of tilt I got furious. So I invited one of them to a private table for headsup play. I had a solid read on him: 400 hands on pokertracker says he is a Loose-passiv-passiv. But mainly I knew exactly how he plays. In fact I thought I could beat him without looking on my cards, just responding to his predictable behavior.
However I lost, which is a total disaster. I dont know how to handle it...
I would be greatful for some feedback on my headsup play. I know this will be hard to answer because its a general question, but here is the deal anyway.
I played very aggressiv preflop and raised every hand. He folded every hand, except for pocket pairs and broadways, Ax, Kx. I won about 5$ by doing this.
Postflop I often felt lost, which was very odd since I didnt have any trouble reading him. The problem was that he mostly called and folded which I didnt like because it was hard to trap him. And he seemed to always get the best of it. I made alot of semibluffs which he always called, and when I had a real hand he never called. Maybe thats just bad luck since I always bet the pot, but I didnt like him being that passiv. I get the feeling that its better to just call headsup, because when your calling you always have options; you can fold, or push. But when your leading you often have to worry about your marginal hand and how much pretection its worth.

I have been up all night so I dont know if this post makes any sence at all.
Old 05-07-2005, 02:37 AM

Default Re: The greatest embarressment - question about headsup

A loose-passive player folded every hand but pairs and paint.. Awesome read, Rick. I don't raise OOP without a hand unless I'm against a very aggressive player and it's in a HU SNG. I minraise preflop with every button.
Old 05-07-2005, 02:53 AM

Default Re: The greatest embarressment - question about headsup

Against a player that always calls just bet good hands.