Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2005, 09:22 PM

Default How much of a wuss am I? 2/4 hand

Sorry for the hand written summary the converter didn't like the hand. Also I haven't played much O/8 so feel free to tell me how bad I play :0)

Preflop Hero is BB with AA82 with one suited A.

2 callers + SB to Hero who checks.

Flop: JJ4r
checked around

Turn: A
SB bets, Hero raises, 2 fold, SB 3-bets, Hero caps.

River: K
SB bets, Hero raises, SB 3-bets, Hero calls.

Should I raise preflop for value? It seems I always have to lay it down if I miss my A against large fields.

This is probably a stupid question, but how afraid of quads should I be? Am I too afraid of the nuts in this situation?
Old 05-06-2005, 11:15 PM

Default Re: How much of a wuss am I? 2/4 hand

Raise preflop, Bet the flop, call the subsequent raise. On the turn, bet out and never slow down. Never ever fear quads in limit O8.
To date there is only one time I folded fearing quads and I was correct.
I saw a flop of AKK with KKxx in hand. Opponent checks to me on button, i bet, he check raises, I reraise, he caps. Turn comes an A, he bets I fold and show, he shows AAxx. The reason is on that flop, there is only one hand he 4 bets. But with your hand there are several more likely hands your opponent will have and be raising with than quads.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:48 PM

Thanks, pretty much what I already thought. Only thing that I wouldn't have thought of is betting that flop. Maybe I'm a bit gunshy but with 12 cards between them isn't the prob that one of them has a J greater than 50%?
Old 05-07-2005, 10:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks, pretty much what I already thought. Only thing that I wouldn't have thought of is betting that flop. Maybe I'm a bit gunshy but with 12 cards between them isn't the prob that one of them has a J greater than 50%?

[/ QUOTE ]
That assumes that the cards they have is random, which is not true. The cards will be skewered towards A23KQ and away from 987. Any person seeing that flop you have to put on two of his four cards being low.
Old 05-09-2005, 03:59 AM

Absolutely raise PF for value. Getting comfortable with raising a premium hand PF and then laying it down if you don't connect at all on the flop is a good thing. It sucks, but sometimes the game dictates it.
Old 05-10-2005, 04:53 AM

Disagree alot with the everyone raise preflop. Yep its a strong hand, one of the best. Your position does suck though. You are the big blind. Only because you are BB do I not raise. If it misses completely you lose minimum, and I think you have lots of opportunities to outplay the field with smaller pot and deceptive value.

On the flop with that many callers and your position I check. If you get raised or even a reraise behind you you have to throw it away. If only heads up or three handed I bet, but with that field behind you I check.

River/being aggressive. I don't like being reraised on the turn. He is just as likely to hold JJ as AJ. I definately don't get as many bets in as you do. I'm not raising the river when he bets into me again. Think its crazy. I know its hard without the hand histories, but if you are heads up on turn I put him on quads. On other caller and you can assume that it's the other Jack and then you can raise to the moon.

What happened?
Old 05-10-2005, 05:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Should I raise preflop for value? It seems I always have to lay it down if I miss my A against large fields.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bremen - You have a very strong starting hand. You can raise, or not, in my humble opinion. Your hand is strong enough to raise for value, but if you raise for value here, you may miss out collecting on later betting rounds. Or maybe not. I think it depends on your opponents.

[ QUOTE ]
This is probably a stupid question, but how afraid of quads should I be? Am I too afraid of the nuts in this situation?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a stupid question at all. You'll encounter quads roughly one time in twenty, something of that order.

But SB checked the flop, jammed on the turn and now is jamming again on the river, despite your raise. SB seems a very aggressive player. Would a very aggressive player slow play flopped trip jacks with an ace kicker on the second betting round? It's possible, especially after you didn't raise with your pair of aces before the flop. SB may have AJXX and not read you for aces full.

However, SB is playing the hand exactly the way I'd generally play flopped quads. And I wouldn't play AJXX that way. (I would have bet the flop). Thus it's very scary. This may be that one time out of twenty when you're up against quads.

Let's put it this way. SB is either a fool, is absolutely convinced you can't have aces full because of your lack of a pre-flop raise, or has quad jacks.

Which do you think it is?

Buzz
Old 05-10-2005, 07:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What happened?

[/ QUOTE ]
He had 4's full
Old 05-10-2005, 10:32 AM

There are players that I wouldn't cap this river against because they would HAVE to have JJ, but against an unknown in a low limit online game my cap goes in the pot 100% of the time and I would expect to almost always win.
Also raise preflop, I mean the 8 sucks but it still doesn't get much better than AA2, punish your opponents for playing their inferior hands.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:40 PM

I cap the river almost every time here, unless I have a great read on the player. I would contemplate calling if I was up against a total rock but there are so few of those playing low limit O8.

A lot of the monkeys that I play against would play the same way with 44, 4J, AJ, and maybe even JK. I think that he shows you J4, AJ, or 44 more often then he shows you JJ which is all you need to be +EV.