Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2005, 11:09 AM

Default marginal

3 handed 5-10. I'm on button ~2k, villain is sb w/ ~2k.

I raise w/ J6s to $30, villain calls, BB folds.

flop ($70). AJ7r. check, I bet $50 he calls.

turn ($170). 6. check, I bet $150, he CR to $450.

reads: Well, it's short so we can both have any 2 cards here. I've been raising w/ everything. He calls preflop w/ anything. Recently, I've been checking the turn on good hands and picking off bluffs, value betting the river. I've also been caught bluffing a couple times as well on the river. Opponent is pretty good. His checkraise means he has a hand here for the most part, although he is capable of bluffing - especially since most of my turn bets have been 2nd barrell bluffs. He has been passive recently on most rivers - even w/ some decent hands, but no monsters. What's my plan? Also, is my turn bet good? At the time, I wasn't thinking about that bet and just fired out close to pot size.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:18 AM

Default Re: marginal

I.....

...fold preflop.

- C -
Old 05-06-2005, 11:44 AM

that's no fun... I fold this most of the time, but who cares about preflop, that's not where the money is made / lost. Plus, the one opponent was folding too much on the flop after always calling preflop so I was getting instant edge.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I.....

...fold preflop.

- C -

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummmm . . . it's three handed and he's on the button. I don't mind a raise. That being said, I would probably have checked behind on the turn. Given that we bet the turn, I like calling the turn and seeing what happens on the river. Fold to a full pot bet, call anything in the half pot range or below.

Eric
Old 05-06-2005, 12:02 PM

I like a check behind on the turn too. It prevents him from making check-raise bluffs on the turn that you kind of hate calling and it will probably induce him to bet his Ace on the river and you can just call.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I raise w/ J6s to $30, villain calls, BB folds.

flop ($70). AJ7r. check, I bet $50 he calls.

turn ($170). 6. check, I bet $150, he CR to $450.

reads: Well, it's short so we can both have any 2 cards here. I've been raising w/ everything. He calls preflop w/ anything. Recently, I've been checking the turn on good hands and picking off bluffs, value betting the river. I've also been caught bluffing a couple times as well on the river. Opponent is pretty good. His checkraise means he has a hand here for the most part, although he is capable of bluffing - especially since most of my turn bets have been 2nd barrell bluffs. He has been passive recently on most rivers - even w/ some decent hands, but no monsters. What's my plan? Also, is my turn bet good? At the time, I wasn't thinking about that bet and just fired out close to pot size.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the pot-ish turn bet, you want to punish Ax now that your hand got there.

As for the check/raise, I probably call and see what he does on river.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:12 PM

Long term do you make more money from a turn bet vs a turn check to induce a river bet from Ax? I don't know the answer. Is this player dependent? Also sucks when he hits his A6 or A7 against your two pair. But I agree, I call because it's very easy for someone to just be playing back at you.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:13 PM

Default results

I had been doing that a lot though (checking behind on the turn), so I was trying to mix it up. I do wish I would have bet a little smaller though.

I decided to call and see what he does on the river. River card is a K. He checks, I check and MHIG against his 67. In retrospect, I really feel like this was the worst hand he could have had and maybe I should have found a fold on the turn with that read?
Old 05-06-2005, 12:20 PM

Default Re: results

No way. If you have been betting and raising a lot, and everyone is aware of this he is definitely going to play back at you with anything.