Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2005, 09:04 AM

Default Taxation - poker site requests that I declare and fill out a form !

I play on Empire Poker, and recently I received an email with a request to complete some forms declaring a statement of income status, and some tax reporting forms.

What is the legality of this? Or, is it really a matter of "house" rules? I live in Canada, and I'm unaware of jurisidictional tax treatment of poker winnings in other areas, but in Canada it's still tax-free as far as I know.

Can anyone with experience on this, or with legal expertise perhaps shed some light on this?

Thanks,

Karatitis
Old 05-06-2005, 10:24 AM

Default Re: Taxation - poker site requests that I declare and fill out a form !

[ QUOTE ]
I play on Empire Poker, and recently I received an email with a request to complete some forms declaring a statement of income status, and some tax reporting forms.

What is the legality of this? Or, is it really a matter of "house" rules? I live in Canada, and I'm unaware of jurisidictional tax treatment of poker winnings in other areas, but in Canada it's still tax-free as far as I know.

Can anyone with experience on this, or with legal expertise perhaps shed some light on this?

Thanks,

Karatitis

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure this came from Empire and not a phisher?
Old 05-06-2005, 10:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks,

Karatitis

[/ QUOTE ]

Crap, I'm in canada as well. I hope it's not because they are licensed by Kanawake, which is technically on canadian soil, though I don't think the govt has much jurisdiction there.
On the other hand, I haven't received such an e-mail from empire, and I took a decent amount of cash from them last year. Maybe I don't meet the threshold.
I'm sure you don't want to reveal how much you netted from Empire last year, but do you feel like giving an over/under on 20k?
Old 05-06-2005, 10:57 AM

Sounds like someone is trying to scam you out of personal information.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:40 AM

Default Re: Taxation - poker site requests that I declare and fill out a form

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Thanks,

Karatitis

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure this came from Empire and not a phisher?

[/ QUOTE ]

Check it 18x and fwd it to customer non-service at Empire asking them why they are sending you this?

I'm averaging about one moron a week telling me my account at XZY bank is having problems, login in and check X. Considering I've been with the same credit union for 30yrs, login daily, and have never been to the states these banks reside, I'm fairly sure that I don't have accounts with these banks.

If these are online forms DO NOT click on ANY link in the email. Go directly to Empire's site and look for the forms there.

These phishers are really starting to become annoying.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:03 PM

Yeah I'm getting a lot of email from "banks" asking me to click the link, and of course that takes me to a page which asks for my name, credit card, debit card, PIN #, etc.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:13 PM

Hi Meow Meow,

No, I don't want to divulge - but the response from Empire seems to be related to the monthly rake-back commission program, not my regular winnings.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:15 PM

I don't think so - the email came directly from the VIP Affiliates email address at Empire.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:39 PM

As far as wondering if its legit, a quick phone call would be best for setting your mind at ease.

As far as taxation goes, if its not gambling winnings (which affiliate income isn't, right?), why wouldn't you declare it like any other income?
Old 05-06-2005, 03:45 PM

Just so you know, it's possible (in fact quite easy) to spoof email addresses.