Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2005, 06:17 PM

Default NL and Limit profit

Ok I have been playing limit and no limit for over 15 months. 90% limit of 2/4 and 3/6. I think I am good at limit but I am still struggling these last 2 months 26k hands. I play maybe 10 hours a week.

Now I have read about 20+ books on limit and about 3-4 books on No-limit.

I am finding my NL game improving much more than my limit game. Almost every session I play of NL is profitable. half live, half online.

I feel because of other player's betting patterns, aggression, thought time, and prelop selection I can almost place them on their exact hand much of the time to extract the most and make them fold the better hand.

I have read Sklansky's tournament book, psychology, and game theory. I have read both of TJ's books or is it 3 books. I also have read Harrington's book, improved my game the most. I also grew huge balls for the bluffs.

I play $50 nl online and $100 nl live.

How can I be constantly winning at NL more than limit when its suppose to be harder to learn?
Old 05-05-2005, 06:24 PM

Default Re: NL and Limit profit

Becuase 50NL has [censored] players compared to 2/4 and 3/6 limit.

50NL is like the same as .50/1 limit.
Old 05-05-2005, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How can I be constantly winning at NL more than limit when its suppose to be harder to learn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Who told you this?

NL is easier (IMO) because of being able to control the pot size and make people play for their stacks when you know you are in the lead but they have a second best hand. Overall, it is easier to capitalize on bad players mistakes and overplaying of bad hands.

-T
Old 05-05-2005, 08:06 PM

God I hate Limit.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
God I hate Limit.

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto. I really can't understand why people play limit. You make a smaller BB/100,it's about as exciting as watching paint dry, and from what I've been told the variance is a real b****. JMO
Old 05-05-2005, 11:07 PM

Correct. The swings are huge. It's mechanical and boring. Getting your set of Aces rivered by 68o chasing a gutshot isn't fun.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:12 PM

Yes, because nobody ever plays 68o in NL.

It's harder to learn and people like the challenge.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:34 PM

I can't stand limit hold em either. I used to play 7 Card stud, and when no limit got popular I switched to NL hold em. Only being able to double the blind before the flop and only being able to bet the minimum bet after the flop makes Limit Holdem a pain in the butt for the way I like to play poker. But for some people's styles it fits them better. So if you are more comfortable in the NL format, then stick with it. Also, if you ever get a chance to get into the World Series or WPT, then the NL experience will be good for you.
Old 05-06-2005, 03:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, because nobody ever plays 68o in NL.

It's harder to learn and people like the challenge.

[/ QUOTE ]

Completely different. In Limit, they frequently have the odds to chase their horrible draws with their crappy hands. In NL, you get to dictate the tempo and charge them to draw out. When they call pot bets with gutshots you love it, even when they hit.. in Limit, it's a different story.
Old 05-06-2005, 01:18 PM

So then basically what you all are saying is that when you know how to play NL holdem compared to someone that doesnt its a larger difference than the two same players at limit. The difference is greater in experience. Now I know I am not a good NL player, but I think I am decent.

I can see how some idiot calling you with a 4 outer for 1:1.5 on the pot is much more profitable than a 1:6 in limit lets say. If you repeat that play 100 times over with him doing the same mistake the profit is larger for the NL player.

A couple questions to you all.

How many tables can you play of NL reasonably. For me its probably 2. I play 4 tables limit. BTW YES THE VARIANCE SUCKS!!!! 26,000 limit hands of 1 BB per 100.

Also what stakes do the players start getting better? $100, $200, more?

I assume because of betting patterns and lack of tells that you keep really good notes on the opponents and pay closer attention than limit.