Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2005, 02:47 PM

Default Top pair on flop vs semi-loose passive

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, SB folds, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (7 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

River: (11 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 15 BB

I seem to encounter these situations a lot where I'm the one betting and at the end I get raised on the river. Any hints on when to call and when to fold?
Old 05-05-2005, 02:49 PM

Default Re: Top pair on flop vs semi-loose passive

You are playing over your head. You need the Beginner's forum and the Micro forum. And you need to move down.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:50 PM

Location: For the love of God and all that is holy, MY ANUS IS BLEEDING!

Jeez Louise
Old 05-05-2005, 04:40 PM

I have to say that I think this hand looks pretty good for the most part.

The preflop limp is pretty standard as third in with ATo.

The flop raise with only one caller between you should help knock out some competitors.

The turn card looks blank, and warrants a bet, especially since BB just shut up.

The river bet seems a bit frisky. With an A on the board, you're unlikely to get called by a hand that you beat (e.g., a 3, a 6, or a pocket pair, or a busted club draw). Also, anybody who had a 7 just made trips, and would love to check-raise you here. With you betting predictably, anybody could have a 7 and correctly expect you to help them make more money. So, once more we're in a situation where better hands call you (or reraise) and worse hands fold. A bet here can only cost you money. If you check and CO bets, I think your hand still warrants a call, especially if BB and UTG+1 both fold. This is mostly true because CO betting indicates less strength than CO raising your bet, so the likely hands he could have and bet with include several that you beat. Combine that with the pot laying you 12:1 odds on your bet, and a crying call is mandatory here.