Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2005, 02:46 PM

Default Weak tight?

7 Card Stud High ($5/$10), Ante $0.5, Bring-In $2 (hand converter)

3rd Street

Seat 1: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in
Seat 3: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

4th Street

Seat 1: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks
Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 6: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 8: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks

5th Street

Seat 1: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___folds
Seat 6: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___folds
Seat 8: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets

I didn't feel like getting in a pissing contest for such a small pot against two scary boards. How bad is my fold?
Old 05-05-2005, 02:48 PM

Default Re: Weak tight?

You probably have the best hand, but since there isn't much to contest over folding can't be too wrong.
Old 05-05-2005, 03:12 PM

Clubs are pretty dead, and a lot of people bet a 4 flush on 4 cards, since seat 8 did not I think it is likely seat 8 is betting Queens or perhaps 9-T-J-Q. I'd check-raise and lead 6th if neither board improves. Seat 1's board is not particularly scary.

By check raising 5th the pot becomes worth fighting for. You have the potential to make 6-7 big bets, not bad for a pair of aces. Of course you can lose 3-4 but that's the risk I think you have to take. Why throw away a potential money maker?
Old 05-05-2005, 03:21 PM

I think the check on fifth is worse than the fold, not that the fold was good, either. The other guy probably doesn't have a flush. There are quite a few clubs out. Many will bet a four-flush on fourth. I think you should operate on the assumption that you have the best hand and bet out.
Old 05-05-2005, 06:27 PM

I'd have checkraised as well.

I'd say 90%+ chance he doesn't have a flush. If he had 4 clubs on 4th, he would probably have bet. And since clubs are fairly dead, he only has 6 cards to catch for his flush.
Old 05-05-2005, 07:24 PM

Ewwww. Clubs are dead and its almost a certainty that seat eight would have bet his four flush last to act on fourth if he had it. You can assume with near 100% confidence that he dosent have the flush on fifth. Bet out or check-raise if you think he'll bet his semi-scary but totally dead board. Checking and folding here is way wrong.

Mike Emery
Old 05-05-2005, 07:59 PM

Well.. you did $2.50 in this pot, so despite what others say here, i dont think your fold is a sin.
However, given the state of the clubs here, even a weak tightie like myself would bet out on 5th.
Old 05-05-2005, 08:14 PM

Mike,
Since you put that avatar up, no offence, but it doesn't live up to my expectations of you.- lol
I figured you for a hyper-aggresive 7-card stud killer robot.
You do in fact look human.
I suggest you purchase some 'special sunglasses' for the WSOP.
I wish you the best of luck & hope that you are signing many more autographs after your big victory.
Old 05-07-2005, 02:05 AM

Hi All,

Folding here is as much of a sin as folding As on 3rd would be...you don't make money in poker by folding what is probably the best hand, despite what all the weak tight players out there might have you belive.

Regards,
Carlos