Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2005, 02:41 PM

Default Nut flush on turn

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, Button folds, BB calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (11.25 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

River: (20.25 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 23.25 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
BB has 6h 6s (full house, sixes full of fives).
MP1 has 8c Kc (flush, king high).
Hero has 4c Ac (flush, ace high).
Outcome: BB wins 23.25 BB. </font>

BB was a TAG over 200 hands. When BB reraised me on the flop, and turn- I wasn't too sure what to do.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:49 PM

Default Re: Nut flush on turn

If your read on the BB was TAG, you have to put him on a set or two pair (but even two pair is a tough hand to put him on given that board) on that flop. If he's TAG no way he's calling a preflop raise with 4-7 or 2-4. Your flop raise was a great raise - you have plenty of outs and 3 more if your ace is good (though the Button folding tells me he had AK or equivalent, but folded to the apparent action on the flop that he was drawing dead). MP1 calling tells me he has a straight or flush draw. I think when the BB three-bets the hand, you should just call - your free card play was caught. The turn card was not good for your hand, but you still have a 2 out redraw. Plus, its very hard to get rid of the nut flush. With this in mind, you should call the turn and river. MP1 sensed his flush was in trouble as well, which is why he called the hand only. You'd have saved 2.5 bets this way, despite you having the nut flush.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:51 PM

Location: For the love of God and all that is holy, MY ANUS IS BLEEDING!

Jeez Louise

Making my way to Carpal Tunnel...
Old 05-05-2005, 03:16 PM

Running this through twodimes, and it looks like there's a good value cap here, even giving BB the set and running a bunch of hands for MP1. Folding out the button's overs also buys us ace outs if BB is on an overpair like 77.

Hero has two very strong draws here and is only a 6:4 dog against a set heads-up -- he's a favorite over any overpair or dead even against two-pair hands here, too.

This cap is for value against all but the most passive players.

-d
Old 05-05-2005, 04:25 PM

I think you played this just right. On the flop, you have outs all over creation: nut flush draw (with stopper for the straight flush), inside straight draw, and three aces for top pair. You've got three opponents and far more than 25% pot equity; stuffing this pot makes perfect sense.

The turn card is tragic: it makes your hand and makes someone else a better one. You can't know this in advance, though, and there's no profit in running from monsters under the bed. You were right to raise, and you were right to slow down when BB splashes the pot for a fourth time.

The river call is crying, but correct.

These things happen, but you played it perfectly against a TAG. Unless BB was really, Really, REALLY passive, there isn't a fold to be found here. Sometimes, that happens. It's just poker.