Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2005, 02:38 PM

Default Low top pair question

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (7 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG+2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls $0.50 (All-In), Button folds, SB folds.

Turn: (4.62 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

River: (8.62 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.62 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
BB has 7s 5c (full house, sevens full of fives).
Hero has 6s As (two pair, sevens and sixes).
CO has Jd Js (two pair, jacks and sevens).
Outcome: BB wins 10.62 BB. </font>

At what point should I have laid it down? The BB was a fish with VPIP of 40%.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:41 PM

Default Re: Low top pair question

I think you should've raised the flop, you probably have the best hand.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:45 PM

Location: For the love of God and all that is holy, MY ANUS IS BLEEDING!

Raise the flop, as u played it, fold the river. Don't post results.
Old 05-05-2005, 03:08 PM

Stop posting so many [censored] hands. And raise the flop.
Old 05-05-2005, 04:09 PM

I'll reiterate everybody who said "raise the flop," but I'll also explain why.

On the flop, you've got TPTK: (T)op (P)air with (T)op (K)icker. In this case, that's almost worthless due to reverse implied odds: with six opponents and two cards to come on the turn and river, you're bound to have overcards fall that are bound to help someone out and beat you. Hence, you don't WANT to have six opponents see the turn and river. The flop bet comes from directly on your right; if you raise here, you face the entire field of opponents with the unpleasant prospect of calling TWO bets to see the rest of the hand. Given that the board is doggy doodoo right now, many of your opponents will correctly conclude that it's not worth the money to continue with the hand. In that way, you protect your hand from weak draws and make several overcards safer for your hand.

A pair of sixes with an ace kicker is FAR more likely to stand up against one or two opponents than against six of them.

Ironically, your turn raise doesn't really make much sense. At this point, there's a four-straight on the board and BB is continuing aggression shown on the flop. At this point, you're either a bit ahead (against, say, overcards or a flush draw) or way behind (against, say, trips or a straight). If you decide this hand is worth seeing to the river, you should just call down from here unless you get a miracle card (i.e., a 6). You're clearly not going to drive BB out of the pot, and there's nobody else to scare away. Note that folding the turn is probably even better than calling down, since it really doesn't take much to beat you, and if you are beaten, it'll take a miracle for you to win. With the pot as small as it is, this one isn't really worth fighting for.

On the river, I think you're most likely beaten. However, with almost 10 BBs in the pot, you can make a "crying call," knowing in advance that you'll likely lose but also knowing that if you even win 10% of the time in this situation, calling is worth the money.