Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2005, 12:37 PM

Default When you get a reputation...

I play on a small site, I seen most people daily when i play (It has around 1.5k(usualy online at same time, Peaks at 2.5) 4k(Max players).

Majority know me as a tight/aggressive i assume. If i raise... They respect my raises, Majority of time ill have lots of fish calling them or down to around 3players seeing the flop.

I just wondered, Maybe loosening up would bring in a bit more money/Chances to hit my flops?

I.e. Calling JTo Mid position rather than folding(If i know i wont be reraised - Of course i dont KNOW this, But pretty confidant most of the time(and correct).

Wanted opinions really,
Thanks.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:45 PM

Default Re: When you get a reputation...

With the push here to get VPIP > 20 and PFR > 10, How do you stack up? If the game is as passive as you describe, you're probably more than able to open up a fair bit if your postflop play is up to the task.

Also, if you're getting a tight image, use that to your advantage to steal more blinds by open-raising more from even as early as MP1
Old 05-05-2005, 01:56 PM

He's right, if you have a tight image, make sure and remind the table of it, then use it to your advantage. Last night, 10 handed, .50/1.00 limit, I was raising with 89os in mp3 and they were folding the blinds to me, and if I was called, no matter what hit the flop I was firing, by the river they were folding there hands. Up $50 in an hour and a half. Not bad with 2 screaming kids fighting over who is going to wash and who is going to dry and a girlfriend looking at me like,"are ya going to do anything about them fighting"....I felt like saying yea, I think I'll raise this 45os and see what happens..LOL GL to ya.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:02 PM

...just be careful. you start playing too many hands or showing down a bunch of crap, that tight/aggressive rep will soon be replaced by fish and/or LAG [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] and your bankroll will disappear quicker than you got it.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:04 PM

If you're ever forced to show down crap, then, just tighten back up and play your normal game. Hopefully they won't catch the switch, and they'll pay off your legitmate hands.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:11 PM

I'll be honest: I seriously doubt you have an image of "tight/aggressive" such that you aren't getting action on the few hands you're playing.

Even if you were, the answer is not to start playing JTo in EP/MP.

Rob
Old 05-05-2005, 02:12 PM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 05-05-2005, 02:47 PM

I get action, Just not as much as most other players do when they reraise.

soon as i join the table comments are said "uh ho", "Come to make us play tight" etc lol.

Seem to have a rep.

Ill be on 0.05/0.10's - Dont know what room name.
Old 05-05-2005, 06:42 PM

I believe I have (or at least had) a similar issue to deal with.

Personally, I don't think you should loosen up your playing standards. I think you should use your tight image to steal the blinds a little more frequently.

You could also possibly try to isolate a single loose limper that came in before you with a hand in which you would normally call (hands that play well against few opponents).

Just be careful with this kind of adjustment. Pay attention to what kind of players are after you. If you are stealing, make sure there are folders after you. I think this kind of thing probably works better at $1-$2 than $.50-$1.

Also, there are situations like 99 from early postion that are normally just a call (at least for me). In a tighter game where your raises are getting a lot of respect, I think you can raise that first in. You can sometimes actually take down the blinds even from there. If not, you will usually limit the field to HU - which is fine with the blind money in there. I'd rather play 99s HU or against 5 players than against 2 or 3. Sometimes, I actually think my early limps get too much respect. When I limp early, I don't get 4 callers. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Maybe more people are using Gametime that we think.
Old 05-05-2005, 07:04 PM

With an image like that, you should be using that to steal. Also, if they play loose, you should adjust to thier play every once in awhile to see if you BB/100 improves, I dunno, just a thought.