Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2005, 02:38 AM

Default Am I reading the pot right?

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, UTG+2 calls.

Flop: (8.40 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG+2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

Am I right to call here. I believe BB will call, and I believe I've got implied odds to call to the turn and I'm ready to dump it if I don't hit my straight or get help with the backdoor flush.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:48 AM

Default Re: Am I reading the pot right?

implied odds are tricky for me, especially when counting one card straight outs because you might split/lose the pot when it leads into broadway like this.

i'd rather not call the two bets cold, but it might be close depending on the players.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:49 AM

Your preflop coldcall is terrible. Stop doing that.

On the flop, you should be able to calculate this instantly. You're getting 5.5:1 with around 6 outs. It's pretty damned close -- you need 6.5:1 to continue. The problem is that 4 of your outs will be to a chop some of the time, and your remaining outs are all dirty: 9's are dirty to QQ, T's are dirty to people drawing to gutshots. Your implied odds are [censored] for your gutshot because it's a gutshot to a 1-card straight, which means any action you get will either be from people who are retarded but have redraws (QQ will have a 10-outer), or people who are chopping or ahead.

Also, the fact that BB may be betting with the intention of 3-betting can really have you screwed here.

Would I call? Meh. It's close. I'd fold. But I would've folded preflop to begin with: this coldcall is terrible, especially if you can't do these sort of odds calculations on the fly.

Rob
Old 05-05-2005, 02:58 AM

You're getting 11.4/2-1 to call, or 5.7-1. You have 4 outs to the one-card straight (so you're in danger of splitting in case you make your hand, or even losing to KT), 1.5 outs for the backdoor flush, and 2 outs to make trips. I seriously don't think your 2-pair outs are worth much, maybe half an out. Because you might make your straight and split, we'll call it 3 outs. I give your hand approximately 6 outs.

If you don't hit a diamond on the turn then you won't be getting odds to call. Remember that if you plan on calling a bet on the flop, and on the turn, your implied odds aren't as good as they often look.

Oh, this is an obvious fold preflop. I don't think it would be an error to fold against the flop raise either.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:59 AM

I agree that the pre-flop coldcall is terrible. Only use the SSHE Loose Game hand chart if the game is playing loosely (on the button you've only seen 1 limper) and I'd use the Tight Game Chart and that says you can coldcall this pre-flop if 2 other players have already made coldcalls of the preflop raise. Fold this on the flop. I'd probably call if you are closing the action, but you're not.