Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2005, 02:01 AM

Default I inevitably do this. Can anyone offer advice?

This has happened to me on many occasions. I put a few bucks into an online poker site, and build the small deposit up quite quickly.

This time, I swore it would be different. I have been reading these forums, and studying Small Stakes Hold-em. I was focused on playing 1/2 6MAX. I will occasionally jump to 2/4 and have sat in 3/6, but played 75-80% of my hands at 1/2.

I moved my small deposit up quite quickly, and immediately cashed out around $400 dollars. Why?

Because, inevitably, I donk away a large sum of money online, pissing it away, filling up your bankrolls at 5/10 or 3/6. Playing an SNG that I shouldn't play. Doing poor things with my money. This time, for some reason, I has the prior sense to cash out most of my winnings before I douched away some of my cash, and I withdrew to my bank account probably more than I have ever been up in the past.

But that doesn't make up for the fact that I have tooled away yet another shot at profitable online poker.

I consider myself mature, but for some reason, can not crack this problem. I am a winning poker player, now I want to be a profitable one.

This is not a problem gambling post. This is a problem with bankroll management, and I want to know if anybody can offer any suggestions.

Thanks to all of the posters.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:17 AM

Default Re: I inevitably do this. Can anyone offer advice?

I play to triple my deposit, then cash out everything. I move on to another site and start from scratch, rotating amongst 4 differnt sites. This gives me solid, attainable goals and the change of scenery/mindset helps when starting again at a new place. If i lose the deposit, I just move on. Also stick with one limit for the whole goal.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:53 AM

This seems like a gambling problem post. Don't play anywhere you don't have 300+ BB. That is basic bank roll managment. I am sure you already know that, so it is all about self control. If you are a gambling addict you won't be able to control yourself and should probably quit now before it gets worse.
Old 05-05-2005, 03:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I play to triple my deposit, then cash out everything. I move on to another site and start from scratch, rotating amongst 4 differnt sites. This gives me solid, attainable goals and the change of scenery/mindset helps when starting again at a new place. If i lose the deposit, I just move on. Also stick with one limit for the whole goal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, that's dumb.
Old 05-05-2005, 03:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

my advice is do not listen to this
Old 05-05-2005, 07:37 AM

Here's what I do - it's very conservative by most standards, but it works well for me.

My buy-in is 2% of my bankroll. 2 tabling puts 4% at risk.
Every month I cash out 10% of my bankroll. Eventually my bankroll should get stuck at ten times my sustainable monthly win-rate.

This has allowed me to grow my bankroll, limit risk, and bank some profits. It works well for me.
Old 05-05-2005, 07:43 AM

I must be missing something....

how does withdrawing winnings screw your chances at being a profitable poker player -

and for that matter, how can someone be a winning poker player but not a profitable one...

you had a small BR, earned up money, and cashed out. If you did this every month, you would be profitable and a winner.

If you occasionially blow it on tourneys, and by withdrawing, you prevent that (while retaining willpower to not redeposit it) - then no problem.

Only thing you're really doing is holding yourself back from higher limits that you lose money at. Is that cause you're playing higher then your BR or because you're not as good at those games (I suspect the first)

RB
Old 05-05-2005, 10:59 AM

Just follow a diligent cashout strategy. Here's what I do:

1) Cash out ALL bonuses, in full. This forces you to only play with money you win, which keeps you from taking shots at levels you're not ready for.

2) Cash out 1/2 of all winnings at set intervals. If you've got $50, cashout $25 when you hit $100. Then you've got $75 left. Cash out $40 when you hit $150. Keep repeating. I'm at the point now where I cash out about $200 whenever I earn $400.

You'll move up in levels more slowly, but you'll have the satisfaction of cashing out and the slower rate will keep you from blowing your money at tables you're not ready to play.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:11 AM

I had a simaliar problem when I started out last year. I would not blow my whole roll or cashout, but about once a month I would play a bunch of tournaments and blow off some of my profits.

In November the bottom finally fell out and I ran a $1200 bankroll down to $150, playing $50 to $100 entry tournaments.

The only way to stop this, is just that...stop. I have worked my way back since November. I now play 5/10. I cash out half my winnings each month and keep the other half for BR building. After my last cash out I still have 700BB for the level.

I just simply got serious. Focus on limit holdem and do nothing else. Occasionally I will play a $15 tournie or PLO8, but 90% of my time is focused on Limit Holdem.

I would advise you to start bonus whoring and stay focused. You will be suprised how fast you can run a small deposit into a nice bankroll over the course of a month or two.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, that's dumb.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think its a very good idea