Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2005, 10:39 PM

Default SH stud8 hand

I've been playing a decent amount of shorthanded stud (4handed or less) recently and these semisteal hands come up pretty frequently. Any thoughts?

7 Card Stud High-Low ($30/$60), Ante $5, Bring-In $10 (hand converter)

3rd Street

Seat 1: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 5: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls

4th Street

Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 5: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street

Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 5: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

6th Street

Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises

River

Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___raises
Seat 5: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___bets___
Old 05-04-2005, 10:45 PM

Default Re: SH stud8 hand

Looking at it a second time its really not all that interesting, I'll try to find a better one later.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:03 AM

Uh, yeah. What was the question? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-05-2005, 02:41 AM

I know, boring hand. Would you play 6th/7th the same way? What if the river card were a J or a non 3 spade?
Old 05-05-2005, 03:48 AM

I don't see a whole lot of difference between hitting your flush and hitting trips--you beat (and lose to) the same hands. Not sure why the 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] is more significant than any other spade. I wouldn't try to bluff if I missed, if that's what you're asking.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:34 PM

I agree w/all the plays in the original hand, and also w/every word of Andy's analysis.

Am I now ready to reply to Mason's HTTA posts in the Midlimit HE Forum? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-05-2005, 08:05 PM

nice hand. ante defense goes bad for the OP.

But, my real question: how is the 30/60 on stars?
Old 05-06-2005, 02:54 AM

Every time I look at it, the average pot is under $400, which doesn't make it to enticing, for me anyway.
Old 05-06-2005, 01:42 PM

In my experience it can be good shorthanded, when it gets to 6 handed I always sit out(probably because I have no intermediary step between LAG and rock). 3-5 handed there are virtually no multiway pots and most get taken down by 5th street. The HU pots that go to the end are usually 700-900 and you can get lots of bets in early with strong draws due to aggressive blind defense.