Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2005, 09:03 PM

Default Right laydown?

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (7 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (8 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB caps</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls, SB calls.

Turn: (12 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB caps</font>, Hero folds, SB calls.

River: (22 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB caps</font>, SB calls.

Final Pot: 30 BB

I wasn't sure if pot size says I call down with this or not, any comments?
Old 05-04-2005, 09:04 PM

Default Re: Right laydown?

you should have folded the flop.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you should have folded the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

When at your initial action.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:05 PM

I like folding postflop any chance you have, your clearly beaten here
Old 05-04-2005, 09:08 PM

Fold the flop, kick the cat, etc.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Turn: (12 BB) 2 (4 players)
SB bets, BB raises, UTG folds, Hero calls, SB 3-bets, BB caps, Hero folds

[/ QUOTE ]

This action implies to me a pretty serious problem. If it was right to call for the first two, then it was even more right to call the second two. I'm not saying it was right to call the first two. I'm just saying you need to take a very close look at why you did what you did.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:14 PM

I fold the turn to 2 bets. Calling 2 bets on the flop is OK, I think, because I wouldn't expect it to get capped behind me and I'd like a showdown. With the cap on the flop, I think you're implied odds are good enough to see the turn to catch your miracle card. On the turn, you might want to call, but I'd be afraid it being capped behind me, so I'd get away from this to 2 bets.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:26 PM

I'd fold on the flop the first time the action gets to you and it's already 2 bets. You're likely behind with not much chance of improving.

I don't think you can call the first time on the flop because you just don't have the odds to draw at this point. Since you did call though, you should call the next 2 on the flop because your implied odds are massive if you spike a J on the turn.

However, on the turn it's a clear fold the first time around. Now you don't have close to enough odds to keep drawing and you're worse off than before (no more backdoor straight draw).

Be careful using "pot size" to justify calling things down. What you really want to be using is "pot odds". The pot is big, but not big enough for you to draw to your 2 outs, so you fold.

Use "pot size" when you're on the river and it'll cost you 1 BB to showdown and you have some chance of winning in a large pot.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With the cap on the flop, I think you're implied odds are good enough to see the turn to catch your miracle card

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. If I thought BB was good enough to try an isolation play here I might call the 2 bets and re-evaluate on the turn. Players this good are very rare at this limit though, so my default is to fold. You caught a bad flop, you are most likely beat, get out while the pot is still small.

If you do in fact have a read that BB is a tricky bastard, I think 3-betting the flop is a better line than calling because it will give you a free river card some of the time, and let you know that you are definitely beat if it comes back capped.

You are certainly not getting correct implied odds, because this action indicates that you are drawing dead some percent of the time. Fold it. Another pp will be along in the next 20 hands or so.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Calling 2 bets on the flop is OK, I think...

[/ QUOTE ]

1) How many outs do you think Hero has?
2) What are Hero's current odds?
3) How much do you think Hero makes in implied odds?