Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2005, 05:09 PM

Default Anatomy of a losing streak (no whining)

Down almost $2600 in the past two weeks playing PP NL 1000-200. Its unreal how long a streak of bad cards can go. Poker Tracker says Im fine. Usually on a bad run one should evaluate there play and fix there leaks. I think that cards can truely run bad for a while though with no fault on the player. I've played long enough to understand the nature of the game and it's downsides. I started playing three years ago and now looking back realize that after I got the fundamentals down I was on a bad streak a few months. Came out of it with very little out of my pocket and have'nt looked back since. I've cashed out around 10k so far this year and am now for the first time in two and a half years tapped out. Waiting for my rake back to kick in next Wednsday and that will get me about $750 again. I play every day and usually can squeeze in around 2000 hands. Now having to take a break for a week is killing me. I know a lot of people think its good to take a break evry now and then but I found in the long run the breaks hurt me more than they help. Ive replayed all the major losses this past week and I was a favorite in all the losses or had odds calling on huge draws ( twice had straight flush draws with huge pot odds and missed both)

I feel that my play is solid and knowledge of my opponents style put me in a far superior advantage to believe that Im being outplayed. I have'nt gone on tilt for two years and dont plan on it. The $ that I've lost does'nt mean anything as that Ive been freerolling for a long time. I believe that a person should play through it. My spirits are down buy Im not out. The scariest part is that I know that the surface of this swing has not even been scratched. I will always play through it and will always turn around. How long it takes is the only x factor. If you have experienced the same thing some things to remember
1. Never tilt. This is unacceptable. A nice alternative I use is drop down to the NL25 and go crazy. It protects your bankroll and relieves stress. Never dump your roll out of anger.
2. If your playing fundamentally correct understand that the game has downswings to it and that if you want to be a good player you have to learn to work through it. "Sit there and let it teach you something" The Tao of Poker.
3. Evaluate your play constantly. Even when your running good evaluate to make sure your not just getting lucky. You should be dominating your opponents at the level you play at. As level of play increases your opponents skill increases. I can 6 table at NL100 without a lot of thought but when Im playing 1000 I just concentrate on the one game. There is to much you can miss out on.
4. No whining. Remember at any time you dont have to play and take the beats that you do. No one cares about you being drawn out on. Build character and take it, and in return you will be admired for your consistency. Build a reputation and inflate your skills to intimidate. Using this will gain you an advantage over your opponents. Not saying lie about losing, just dont mention it. A guy came up to me at Harrahs a couple of weeks ago and made a comment as to if I ever lose. He said he never heard me tell any bad beat storys and just always assumed I was smashing the competition. He went on to say how he tries to find another table when I sit. You have to play a lot of poker for this to be effective. Everyone now days is always pissed off and whining about something. Be different and accept the loss with a sincere nice hand and a smile. You will gain more by it.

Understanding the losing steak and coping with it makes you a good player. Using the downswing to your advantage and learning from it instead of crying about it is what makes a superior player. Work on integrity and honor and be true to yuourself. Things will change and you will win again and then you will be glad for your positive attitude during your downswing.
Old 05-04-2005, 05:17 PM

Default Re: Anatomy of a losing streak (no whining)

[ QUOTE ]
Down almost $2600 in the past two weeks playing PP NL 1000-200.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I've cashed out around 10k so far this year and am now for the first time in two and a half years tapped out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was the $1000 a misprint?

If it is not, then the problem is not losing 2,600 in two weeks. The problem is if you were playing levels between $200 and $1000, you drastcally underestimated your bankroll requirements.
Old 05-04-2005, 06:03 PM

I dont keep my full bankroll online. When I said I was tapped I was referring to what was left online. Just to clarify. I understand about 300BB for a sufficient roll.
Old 05-04-2005, 11:13 PM

Then just redeposit from your poker bankroll you dont keep online and play on...