Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2005, 08:39 AM

Default So What Do You Prefer in a Dealer?

I have been dealing for a few weeks, and I try to keep the action going. I engage in some banter with the players, but I always try to keep the players informed on where the action is, the amount of the bets etc.

I notice that some of the other dealers are just dealing.. not any talking...

Now, tell me, how do I make myself a better dealer? Open to any comments... DO you enjoy some banter? (So long as the game is moving?)

Anyone who has played at my table at Thunderbird.. Let me know as well as anyone else.. I am always looking to improve..

Pokermama aka Sarah
Old 05-04-2005, 08:44 AM

Default Re: So What Do You Prefer in a Dealer?

IMO, the best games are ones where the dealer refrains from too much extraneous talking. At Commerce in CA, dealers are prohibited from extraneous talking in the box and the games are great. That being said I'm not hardcore about this. I think a good compromise is you can banter a bit while shuffling for the next hand, pushing the pot, etc. B/c some people (particularly those stuck, etc) just don't want to hear the dealer chatter during a hand..particularly if they have tough decisions to make. This is just my humble opinion. Also, as you said keep the action moving at a good pace and make sure players know where the action is, don't make too many errors. BTW, my comments (re: talking) apply to mid limit games...some more levity may be acceptable at lower stakes.

Jeff
Old 05-04-2005, 09:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have been dealing for a few weeks, and I try to keep the action going. I engage in some banter with the players, but I always try to keep the players informed on where the action is, the amount of the bets etc.

I notice that some of the other dealers are just dealing.. not any talking...

Now, tell me, how do I make myself a better dealer? Open to any comments... DO you enjoy some banter? (So long as the game is moving?)

Anyone who has played at my table at Thunderbird.. Let me know as well as anyone else.. I am always looking to improve..

Pokermama aka Sarah

[/ QUOTE ]

As long as it doesn't slow the game down dealers that joke around with the players a bit are great. People having a good time don't mind losing as much [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-04-2005, 09:26 AM

I may be alone on this, but a good dealer has a few catch phrases for shuffling, dealing and pot pushing. 'take it down young feller' or 'you be a winner'
Old 05-04-2005, 09:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I may be alone on this, but a good dealer has a few catch phrases for shuffling, dealing and pot pushing. 'take it down young feller' or 'you be a winner'

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. There's a dealer at the Borgata who calls $100 "a man." So if a bet $200 in a NL game, he announces the bet as "two man." It's great.

The Doc
Old 05-04-2005, 09:42 AM

I play 4/8 at a place that is mostly people just having fun (if its not obvious from the fact its 4/8) but I appreciate the dealers talking and making the game fun and keeping the drunk fish playing longer.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:49 AM

the best dealers are hot asian chicks with big cans
Old 05-04-2005, 10:10 AM

1. Deal a lot of hands/hour
2. Dont float/expose cards
3. Keep the action moving quickly (e.g., "two bets to you, sir")
4. Always announce the number of players going to the next street
5. Call the floor immediately if there are any disputes

If you do that, you are a good dealer, and will earn a lot of tokes. All else is secondary. Conversation or pleasantries are unnecessary.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:43 AM

To the extent that dealer banter keeps him from focusing on the action in the pot, it is no good.

A little chat while shuffling or washing cards is OK. During the hand it is strictly incorrect.

Speed, Accuracy, Game Control are the attributes I appreciate the most. Personality is last, though an obtuse attitude may affect tokes.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:44 AM

A good selection of opiates...