Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2005, 03:43 AM

Default Big pairs causes downswing

For over 16k hands I'm running pretty bad. My downswing is now over 200bb's. I was a 2.5bb/100 hands winner over 60k hands before this.

Now, because I'm getting sick of it, I was trying to find some leaks or hands that causes this swing.

I think I found it. I made an overview of my big pairs in Excel before my downswing and compared this to my downswing stats.

Because I don't know what 'normal' stats for these big pairs are, I was hoping that someone can give me some feedback. Where my big pairs running realy well, or are they running very bad right now?

These are 2/4 and 3/6 stats combined. That's why I put them in BB's.

Old 05-04-2005, 03:47 AM

Default Re: Big pairs causes downswing

Only one way to solve this problem: Stop playing big pocket pairs.

Hope this helps
Old 05-04-2005, 03:59 AM

Thanks for your reply. I might consider that..

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 05-04-2005, 04:06 AM

This is a stupid way to ask a simple question, so you deserved a stupid response.

If you are asking whether or not you are playing your pocket pairs correctly, a much better way would be to post hands and see the responses you get.

OR

If you are bitching about not making as much, you should just stop.

Posting a bunch of stats for big pocket pairs and saying "am I playing right" or "am I getting unlucky" is not very constructive. Post hands in Small Stakes, see what answers you get, adjust accordingly based on answers AND your own personal style, and the stats will speak for themselves over a real sample size...like 200K hands.

Good luck.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:28 AM

From PokerRoom, the average for big pairs are as follows, with your results in parentheses:

AA: 2.32 (3.47 -> 2.43)
KK: 1.67 (1.76 -> 0.71)
QQ: 1.22 (1.52 -> 0.91)
JJ: 0.86 (1.97 -> 0.69)
TT: 0.58 (1.37 -> 0.56)

If those are the baseline stats for you, too, then it looks like you ran well with big pairs before and have been running poorly recently. You haven't been far below the PokerRoom average with TT-QQ. Of course, on average, the players at PokerRoom lose.
Old 05-04-2005, 05:25 AM

Where my big pairs running realy well, or are they running very bad right now?

Maybe your question should be "Have I been playing big pairs well, or am I playing them bad right now". Post hands in SS and get feedback.
Old 05-04-2005, 05:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
AA: 2.32 (3.47 -> 2.43)
KK: 1.67 (1.76 -> 0.71)
QQ: 1.22 (1.52 -> 0.91)
JJ: 0.86 (1.97 -> 0.69)
TT: 0.58 (1.37 -> 0.56)

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for this reply! This was helpfull and I was looking for something like this.

@Persues: are you frustrated or something? If you don't have anything to contribute plz stfu. I may sound a little hatefull here, but I just don't like a comment: "if you don't like it, you should stop"
Maybe you didn't notice that their is luck involved in poker. Winning big pairs requires some of that.. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 05-04-2005, 05:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe your question should be "Have I been playing big pairs well, or am I playing them bad right now". Post hands in SS and get feedback.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you are right. I will post some of them in ss forum.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Maybe you didn't notice that their is luck involved in poker. Winning big pairs requires some of that.. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you didn't notice, but your sample size isn't very big, it's a stupid question, and in the long run your "luck" will even out. If you still think limit poker involves lots of luck in the long term over a REAL sample size you should probably play another game.

And I did contribute something. I told you to post hands, look at the feedback, and adjust accordingly. I also brought it to your attention that you should stop worrying about short term luck of big pocket pairs.

Let me try to break this down. Imagine flipping a coin 10 million times. Imagine during those 10 million times you go on a streak of 100 flips where heads comes up 70 times. Then imagine you posting the 100 coin flips and asking the question "Have I been running poorly?".

When I said "if you don't like it, you should stop" what i meant was, "If short term luck of big pocket pairs bothers you, you should stop playing poker." You are looking at statistics and variance the wrong way, which is why you should post hands instead of stats...

Of course, if you don't like this advice, then please post some bad beat stories about your big pocket pairs so we can all feel bad that your AA haven't been holding up lately.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe you didn't notice, but your sample size isn't very big

[/ QUOTE ]

A big sample size of a downswing? That would be bad..