Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2005, 10:42 PM

Default why do you not fear my min-raise? FEAR MY MINRAISE

5/10 NL.

Very aggro player with decent raising standards ($1500) opens UTG for $40.

I call from MP with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

Flop:

8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Well, OK.

Villain bets $60, I min-raise to $120. Villain comes over the top to $500. I call.

Turn:

blank

Villain moves in for $900, I call. Opponent has KK and does not improve.

The min-raise is so rarely a big hand here that I felt it was the easiest way to make sure opponent felt secure in his overpair. He probably saw me as a medium pair or a flush draw.

But the moral is that no one fears a flop minraise on this board and many aggressive villains will come over the top here with moderate to weak holdings.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:02 PM

Default Re: why do you not fear my min-raise? FEAR MY MINRAISE

[ QUOTE ]
The min-raise is so rarely a big hand here that I felt it was the easiest way to make sure opponent felt secure in his overpair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice play.

[ QUOTE ]
He probably saw me as a medium pair or a flush draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know I would have. I think the flush draw or straight draw looking for a cheap card is the most likely hand I would put you on.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
5/10 NL.

I call from MP with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

Flop:

8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Well, OK.

Villain bets $60, I min-raise to $120. Villain comes over the top to $500. I call.

Turn:

blank

The min-raise is so rarely a big hand here that I felt it was the easiest way to make sure opponent felt secure in his overpair. He probably saw me as a medium pair or a flush draw.

But the moral is that no one fears a flop minraise on this board and many aggressive villains will come over the top here with moderate to weak holdings.

[/ QUOTE ]

and yet this thread does'nt even exist had you not hit your miracle flop. i, for one, could care less about your mini-raise on the flop. i'm more interested in you calling a 4XBB
raise preflop by a very aggro opponent with decent raising standards? what's your move on the flop if it comes:
8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]?
the only reason you look like the smartest player in poker on this hand is because you flopped the boat.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:20 PM

I think a flop of AK8 is a pretty simple fold. You have to make calls like this against preflop raises, because if you only call with pairs, then opponents will never have to fear draws and can outplay you very easily. You need to make somewhat loose calls (I'm not saying that 86s is a loose call; a lot of people would make it) so that the raiser can't put you on a hand easily.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:20 PM

You don't post here much I don't think, at least I haven't seen you around, so I'll take it easy on you. You play these hands because this call is such a small percentage of his stack and if he hits he will bust the other guy. You muck when the flop comes AK8, but you score when people can't release AK/AA/KK on a 886 board. The aggro the better if you hit a made hand, the worse if you hit a draw.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm more interested in you calling a 4XBB
raise preflop by a very aggro opponent with decent raising standards?

[/ QUOTE ]

(a) very aggro opponent and (b) chance to flop a boat *giggles*, flush, straight or trips and take a stack from an overpair.

Most money in big bet is lost after the flop, not before it. It's not my standard call, but it's not the worst either.

[ QUOTE ]
what's your move on the flop if it comes:
8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, fold? It's one of those hit or miss opportunities and fairly easy to play after the flop. I haven't been taking a lot of these opportunities, but I probably should be looking for them against very aggressive opponents.

Garland
Old 05-04-2005, 07:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i'm more interested in you calling a 4XBB
raise preflop by a very aggro opponent with decent raising standards?

[/ QUOTE ]

(a) very aggro opponent and (b) chance to flop a boat *giggles*, flush, straight or trips and take a stack from an overpair.

Most money in big bet is lost after the flop, not before it. It's not my standard call, but it's not the worst either.

[ QUOTE ]
what's your move on the flop if it comes:
8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, fold? It's one of those hit or miss opportunities and fairly easy to play after the flop. I haven't been taking a lot of these opportunities, but I probably should be looking for them against very aggressive opponents.

Garland

[/ QUOTE ]

key word [chance] . even though i don't post here much, i find this hand alot more interesting had he bluffed Mr. Tommy Aggro off a better hand and went into an explaination of what he was thinking when he called preflop and why he felt the bluff would/was successful [based on all factors involved]. that's why i gave the example with the flop of 8, Ace, King. AZK answered my question, but posting this hand comes off more as a showoff than a clinic in poker. for less experienced players, we need more than an example of how to play the nuts from the flop on; that's does'nt present too much of a challenge.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:34 AM

Hey make yer own post if you want a different one.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
5/10 NL.

Flop:

Well, OK.

Turn:

blank

[/ QUOTE ]

and yet this thread does'nt even exist had you not hit your miracle flop. i, for one, could care less about your mini-raise on the flop. i'm more interested in you calling a 4XBB
raise preflop by a very aggro opponent with decent raising standards? what's your move on the flop if it comes:
8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]?
the only reason you look like the smartest player in poker on this hand is because you flopped the boat.

[/ QUOTE ]

You really don't know much about poker, do you?
Old 05-04-2005, 09:04 AM

I thought this hand was VERY intersting in how people interpret a minraise. Sometimes it's the nuts (like here), and a lot of times it's for information. He tricked a decent, aggressive player to get rid of 150BBs w/ just one pair by doing a min-raise. If he raises big on the flop or just calls, the other player may fold later in the hand or you will fail to build the pot enough to get his stack.

Ni Han