Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2005, 07:21 PM

Default Quick Question: How do you play Ax in 6-max preflop.

Hey,

The headline says it all.. I'm curios how you play Ax in 6-max. Not Ax suited.
Do you differ A9-A7 from Ax?
Do you play them in the two early positions or is it a muck?
Last positions? Raise?

And for the sake off convenience, say that it is a mid limit online table. With the usually gang.. e.g you, another good player, two players with some understanding and two ATM machines.
say around 40-50% avg players to the flop. And about 5% off the pots is raised pre-flop.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:32 PM

Default Re: Quick Question: How do you play Ax in 6-max preflop.

I almost always muck it. If folded down to me on the button, I will raise vs the blinds. Occasionally I will open out of the CO but not a lot.

If I am on the button and the CO limps, occasionally I will raise, but standard is muck.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:51 PM

Muck it unless I need to rz for Metagame reasons, then always with pos and minimal limpers.

Fold it in the blinds when raised unless I need to reraise for Metagame.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:17 PM

Why couldnt you just call if the CO calls and you're on teh button? I mean, you have position and even if you dont flop your ace, you can probably pick up the pot. Second, you would also play well after the flop and wouldnt lose that much if your hand was beat after flopping a piece of your hand.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why couldnt you just call if the CO calls and you're on teh button? I mean, you have position and even if you dont flop your ace, you can probably pick up the pot. Second, you would also play well after the flop and wouldnt lose that much if your hand was beat after flopping a piece of your hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm....I have gotten better at being more aggressive lately, but I still have a long way to go. I don't mind your line though.

Why not raise it then pf?
Old 05-03-2005, 09:23 PM

The easiest answer is people like to call raises with ace paint and you can easily get stuck on the worst hand and very few worse ones will call on the flop bets, aside from flopping trips or a full house the ax hands are chip sieves imo. However by limping with a8 say the flop comes 832 and the big blinds bets with 86o you have his pair of eights dominated whereas if you raise he folds the hand.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:27 PM

I play too loose, but I fold them up front, I open raise from the CO and button, and generally complete out of the blinds if it's heads up or if the button is a notorious minraiser/raiser with position. Like all hands I'm finding in 6max, the people you play against and their tendencies matter a lot more than the cards you hold. If I'm on autopilot with 5 tables open I just muck em, no point, but if I'm only playing one table I generally play more hands because I am playing people more than situations, make any sense? Basically what determines whether or not you are a winning player will not be what you limp with preflop, but rather how you play postflop, since a majority of the money is going in postflop. I'm not saying play T3o, but you should know what I'm getting at.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:34 AM

Thx for your comments!
And as AZK says it's all about my opponents, how the table plays, my image and so on..
Sometimes it's correct to play tight, sometimes it's correct to play any two cards and so on.

But I'm working on my "regular" game.. That means how I play when I multi table or don't know my opponents that well. And Ax is one off those hands that have been a little troublesome.

But I think i got a new plan to play it now.. Thx everyone [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]