Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2005, 07:00 PM

Default 5/10 NL 6 max hand

On Partypoker.

Against JimmyCon14, ive seen him play a bit but no real read. I guess a read would have helped. If anyone wants to comment on this player that would be good too...

I have ~1k in chips he has me covered, just sat down, there's at least 3 good players at the table but whatever...

I get AJc utg and raise to 30. JimmyCon calls in the CO, button folds, blinds fold.

Flop is 792, 2 clubs. [Pot=73]

I bet 65, Jimmy calls.

Turn is Jo. [Pot=202]

I check (planning to CR), he checks behind.

River To

I check, he checks.

Comments on all streets appreciated. After I played this hand I felt like I really botched it.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:14 PM

Default Re: 5/10 NL 6 max hand

most hands he calls your turn checkraise with beat you, unless of course he's really bad, or has the KQ of clubs in which case he'll probably push.
and thats no good because if you CR the turn and he pushes there is only one hand you can beat.

however the range of hands he may pay you off with on the river after you check the turn is much bigger so i think you should make a value bet on the river trying to sell in actuality what was a busted flush draw.

i don't think you're going to get bluff-raised very often on the river after the way the hand played out, if he had a real strong hand there is very little chance he's checking behind on the turn.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:26 PM

What about check calling the turn then? Otherwise how much do you bet.

My thoughts were that he probably called the flop with a pocket pair in case I had big cards or whatever, and if i made a strong bet he would fold, unless he had a set, in which case he would raise. If I check to him, he might bet the pair hoping for me to fold/price out draws whatever...

Also, I give up on the turn a lot of the time, so checking with a strong hand is good for protecting my checks.

What does he call the river with, there are a lot of ways he could have two pair by then, and its hard to put me on an eight. Also, does he ever check behind with anything better?
Old 05-03-2005, 07:48 PM

if he's good he's not checking behind with two pair.
is he loose enough to have called your flop bet w/ a gutshot ie: J10?

i just think that after it goes check check on the turn, your river bet may look suspicious thus prompting him to call w/ as little as A9.

also like i said i don't think you have to worry about getting bluff raised on the river.

but i really don't think your line is that bad either...i was just saying that you might be able to get away with a small value bet on the river.

but its definately marginal.
Old 05-04-2005, 02:16 PM

You don't like leading this turn?
Old 05-04-2005, 02:23 PM

If I was playing my normal aggro style I would pot the river and expect to get called by hands that I beat. I kinda think your line of check-raising the turn is a little weird, but that's just because putting lots of money in with a marginal hand with a sweet draw usually happens on the flop or after you hit. It would suck if he blew you off your hand on the turn if you CR.

Continuation bet, value bet, check-decide (likely call) is how I tend to play hands like this.

-Jason
Old 05-04-2005, 03:28 PM

rationale for the turn check was that only hands that beat me were going to stay in (id most likely take it down right there)... a lot of party players ive been noticing are calling one on the flop vs the pfr and then trying to steal it on the turn or river if the pfr gives up on the turn.

I guess the other solution is to bet fold the turn more.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:44 PM

I think a better line would be one that you touched on earlier.

If you want to protect your checks, i Think check/calling that turn against aggro players is a good line followed by betting 1/2 the pot on the river/folding to a raise. I think this this stop/go move is a good alternative than 3/4 pot-pot betting the turn, checking/calling the river, which is a better line.
Old 05-04-2005, 11:26 PM

That is rationale for a turn check, but not really for a turn check-raise.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:02 AM

At first I liked the idea of a turn CR here, but I think pot control is really important here, and makes a CR bad in this spot. A turn check isn't horrible, but a CR gets you into an awkward spot on the river w/ stack sizes and pot commitment issues, unless of course a club (or an ace, most likely) falls.

I like Strassa's line of bet, bet, check-call. But as you got to the river, I agree with others that you should value bet the river.