Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2005, 05:05 PM

Default Dream table passive play

Awesome table, 6 or more to the flop every hand passive play galore post flop. Felt good at the time, now I feel like I missed some bets by not raising the turn. Your thoughts?

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (13 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (8.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

River: (12.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, UTG+2 calls.

Final Pot: 18.50 BB
Old 05-03-2005, 05:33 PM

Default Re: Dream table passive play

against passive players, wouldnt you raise one of the earlier streets to make sure people who completely missed didnt fold? i would be in favor of raise the flop for value bet the turn bet the river against passive players. i dont play this high but waiting til the river cant be right.
Old 05-03-2005, 05:55 PM

Here was my thinking...I after the flop I let the bb take charge of the hand. These guys played all sorts of crap, and I didn't want the BB to check the turn, hence just calling the flop.

This may be wrong, but I am fairly sure a turn raise is in order.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:05 PM

Wow. You and I play this very very differently. For me this is an auto flop raise, 100% of the time.

Basic reasons:

-you gotta huge hand and no need to slowplay broadway flops as they will hit many people

-you have two players trapped in between, they are in an uncomfortable place, so punish them.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:12 PM

I like fastplaying this and raising the flop. I can see maybe waiting for the turn to trap the others, but there is no guarantee that SB will bet the turn for you, then you will have missed a lot of bets.

If he has something like AK, you may be able to jam hard on the flop, trapping everybody for a bunch of bets before they realize what has happened.

Waiting til the river feels wrong to me, SB may not lead the whole way, other players may drop out..etc. I think raising the flop is best.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:28 PM

I think good arguments can be made for raising the flop or the turn. Either is much better than the river for many reasons but the fact that someone picking up a flush draw on the turn will surely call but not payoff if missing the river is probably he biggest factor favoring a turn raise IMO.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow. You and I play this very very differently. For me this is an auto flop raise, 100% of the time.

Basic reasons:

-you gotta huge hand and no need to slowplay broadway flops as they will hit many people

-you have two players trapped in between, they are in an uncomfortable place, so punish them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually don't play it this way, hence the post, but your advice is right on. I hated the turn call right as I clicked it.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:41 PM

Mandatory turn raise here. Youre not driving anyone out, and people with hands like JT, KQ will feel obligated to call another one on the turn, but may fold on the river.