Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2005, 03:08 PM

Default When you hold top pair... Check? bet?

Hi guys, Wanted opinions on this.

If you are BB for arguements sake and hold A8o.

Flops 2 5 8.

So you hold top pair and the ace, Do you bet if checked to you ? or do you check and see the turn, Hoping you hit the ace?

Ive seen it lots, Depending on my reads ill check for free card or ill bet make most fold. If i think i will be betted into, I may even bet before hand so that i show the agression not some other guy(when i limp).

I just wanted opinions as in these situations im torn between the two. And turn/River brings bigger cards.

Or straights...

Thanks.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:11 PM

Default Re: When you hold top pair... Check? bet?

Bet
Old 05-03-2005, 03:17 PM

And if a overcard drops you still bet? Or check-call depending on players?

Lots of cashers in Micro,
Thanks.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:37 PM

Man, I bet this one out. You do not want to give free cards. If you check and a bunch of players see the turn now you can't be happy unless you get your A or 8. If you bet and thin the field your 8 may very well still be good even when overcards fall. In other words, say you're against 3 opponents and it's checked around. Now a Q hits. There is a very good chance someone paired with that Q that would've folded if you had bet. If you bet you may win the pot right then, you may improve, you may not improve but still be good, and of course you can still lose. However, you increased your chances of winning by betting.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:39 PM

How many opponents? What are they like? Do I have a backdoor flush possibility?

Two opponents, I'll usually bet right out here. Big field, I might check and see what transpires. If the bet comes from my right, I'll checkraise to clear the field. If the bet comes from my left and there are a few callers, I'd call with the intention of folding if the turn card and subsequent action indicate I'm beat. If the bet comes from my left and is raised, I'm folding a good percentage of the time.

The way you phrase the question, there really is no answer. I'm also assuming the pot was not raised preflop (you should be folding A8o in the BB in that case). See, there are a lot more variables to consider than you've given.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:43 PM

Yeh kurn - I agree with lots of varibles, just wanted a little discussion really, Learnt alot so far from 2+2 Imo.

Seems im playing it ok then, Thanks guys once again -
Old 05-03-2005, 03:46 PM

What if you're against 5 opponents in a loose-passive game? Your bet will likely be called in 3 or more places and there are 5 overcards that can beat you. Betting out in that case does little to protect your hand.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:50 PM

TPTK when TP < J is a weak hand. They key is not to feel entitled to the pot just yet. You have to play defense at this point. If the field is big enough you have to gamble that it won't get checked around and you can force at least half the field to call 2 bets for the priveledge of outdrawing you.
Old 05-03-2005, 04:18 PM

yeh sorry, think your misinterpetted my comment.

if im in a tight/weak game(Which ive been in lately) i may bet to make others fold. its ifs lag's chances are ill check and see, If a lower card drops ill probably bet.

Depends on my opponants/Reads i have, But it seems im playing it ok from some comments posted here.
Old 05-03-2005, 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you bet and thin the field your 8 may very well still be good even when overcards fall.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is particularly true when your kicker is an ace. In general, many low-limit players will hang on to an ace to the river, hoping to pair or possibly make an A-small two pair. If you hold top pair of eights and an ace turns, you're probably dead, and check-folding might well be valid (depending on many variables, pot size and table/player characteristics being among the most important).

Not nearly as many people will stay in to catch a king or queen, or even play Kx or Qx preflop. Therefore, non-ace overcards to your eights are less scary than an ace would be if you didn't have another one.

So like everything in poker it depends, but generally against 1 or 2 opponents when an overcard turns, I'd still be looking for reasons to bet.