Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2005, 01:48 PM

Default LA Restaurants

What are some good LA restaurants? I have a friend flying in for her birthday and am looking to take her somewhere nice, yet won't break the bank($50-$100/person, a little more w/ drinks) and is very tasty. Japanese is always good, but we can pretty much eat anything.

We eat Nobu/Matsuhisa occasionally, so it would be better if it was something different.

DN
Old 05-03-2005, 01:54 PM

Default Re: LA Restaurants

Barefoot on 3rd and Robertson.

http://www.barefootrestaurant.com/
Old 05-03-2005, 02:51 PM

I like Katana on Sunset. My favorite part is that there are as many beautiful young hostesses as there are old Japanese chefs, and there are at least a dozen old Japanese chefs.

I would say it's a little expensive based upon the quality of the food alone, but the atmosphere makes up for it. (Don't get me wrong, the food is great, but it's LA, so I'm allowed to be picky when it comes to sushi)

It will probably cost about $75 per with drinks.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would say it's a little expensive based upon the quality of the food alone, but the atmosphere makes up for it. (Don't get me wrong, the food is great, but it's LA, so I'm allowed to be picky when it comes to sushi)

[/ QUOTE ]

This looks like an interesting place, but a bit too "LA-scene" for my tastes. I prefer "hidden-gems" type places. And from the reviews on Citysearch, it sounds llike the food is just good, when I am looking for excellent. But this will still be on the short list on places to go that weekend.

Anymore suggestions? Has anyone eaten that Japanese restaurant on Sawtelle with the fixed menu? Or the one in Hollywood?

DN
Old 05-03-2005, 03:42 PM

Beacon in Culver City, on Washington in the old Helms Bakery building. Rated #1 in the city in L.A. Magazine, great food, relaxed place, Japanese in tone, but not exlusively so. Reasonably priced (especially compared with Matsuhisa and Nobu). Try the fruit-infused sakis.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And from the reviews on Citysearch, it sounds llike the food is just good, when I am looking for excellent.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you could find plenty of good places in your price range, but I don't know if you're likely to find anything "excellent." The best food (Japanese or otherwise) I've ever had is at Urasawa, in Beverly Hills. Cost is $250 each for the meal (not including drinks, tax, tip), so it's probably out of the question for this occasion, but you should really check it out sometime.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Beacon in Culver City, on Washington in the old Helms Bakery building. Rated #1 in the city in L.A. Magazine, great food, relaxed place, Japanese in tone, but not exlusively so. Reasonably priced (especially compared with Matsuhisa and Nobu). Try the fruit-infused sakis.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was just reading about this place on CitySearch. This will definitely be a choice.

DN
Old 05-03-2005, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you could find plenty of good places in your price range, but I don't know if you're likely to find anything "excellent." The best food (Japanese or otherwise) I've ever had is at Urasawa, in Beverly Hills. Cost is $250 each for the meal (not including drinks, tax, tip), so it's probably out of the question for this occasion, but you should really check it out sometime.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will definitely check this place out sometime, preferably when dining with a friend rather than with someone that I am paying for. I love high-end stuff like this, but I don't think I am willing to pay for two at a place like this.

I am not looking for "out-of-this world" food, but the reviews for Katana suggest that people are there more for the ambience than the food. For Beacon, it seems they like the food but have average ratings for service. I would strongly lean towards Beacon in this case.

These are all good recommendations, though.

DN
Old 05-03-2005, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Andy,

I've heard conflicting things about Beacon...so you're saying it's worth trying? Any particular items that stood out?
Old 05-03-2005, 04:01 PM

I don't blame you for not wanting to pay for 2...I spend around $370 there just for myself, so doubling that starts to get pretty expensive. It's just as well for me that my girlfriend doesn't eat sushi.