Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2005, 01:18 PM

Default 99 turn play based on reads

MP1 is a loose and kinda passive donk (50/10 split over a very small sample)
MP2 is LAggy, playing just about every hand and raising about 20+% of them. Don't like to fold either.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Fnord is UTG+1 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Fnord raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Fnord calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (13.33 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Fnord checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP2 calls, CO folds, Fnord calls.

Turn: (8.16 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Fnord checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Fnord raises...</font>
Old 05-03-2005, 02:00 PM

Default Re: 99 turn play based on reads

The loose/kinda passive donk bets into a preflop 3-bettor on a K-high flop, and you want to raise his turn bet with an underpair why? Easy flop check/fold when he bets, flop c/r if it's checked to MP2 &amp; he bets.
Old 05-03-2005, 02:03 PM

I do tend to agree with Harv that this is a fold on the flop, unless your read on MP1 was that he made a lot of strange, illogical bets.

If that's the case, I really like your turn raise. Are you planning on taking a free showdown? How sensivitely does your plan depend on the river card?
Old 05-03-2005, 02:20 PM

How do you think MP1 would play Kx here or any made hand that beats me? I think he's capable of showing some aggression because I've seen him raise pre-flop on a couple occasions....

a) Check/call the flop and get aggro on the turn
b) Check/raise the flop
c) Check/call it all the way and let LAgg + TAgg go at it.
c) Bet into LAgg

Am I on crack for thinking he's on a flush draw here? It just seems that this bet on a flush draw is all the rage these days...
Old 05-03-2005, 02:35 PM

Fnord,
I agree that it is frequently the flush draw. I neither agree nor disagree strongly with this play. What I want to point out is that you have the saving grace of bad low limit play saving you. With the second player calling with a definite loser, your raise looks a lot better. Hell he's definitely going to call your cr with aj and try to hit a pair. That is good for you and he is "padding the pot" and making it so that you can't get burned nearly as badly on this play. That makes this play acceptable given your reads.
Old 05-03-2005, 02:39 PM

Heads-up this is a call-down.

Consider that given reads + the size of the pot I don't think I can fold here.

Hence, why not raise on the off chance someone folds a better hand to my "I trapped you suckers with my monster hand" line? I also think it's an easy laydown to a 3-bet.
Old 05-03-2005, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Am I on crack for thinking he's on a flush draw here? It just seems that this bet on a flush draw is all the rage these days...

[/ QUOTE ]
I see a lot of it as well. For some reason bad opponents ALWAYS seem to bet when they should check/raise-call or check/call when they should bet/raise. I call this flop every time. I don't really like the turn raise though. But I'm not folding the flop. I think this is pretty similar to Nate's post yesterday. The 3rd opponent changes is somewhat but not a lot since you're ahead of him almost always. There are also a lot more cards to avoid when you are best. But I'm still not folding, especially with the 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 05-03-2005, 08:02 PM

*bump*
Old 05-03-2005, 08:48 PM

I'm more thinking about MP2 here more than the donk. It wouldn't be out of reason for him to make a move himself on the turn, or he could be calling down with JJ or 1010. So does the CR here possibly get him to fold these holdings?
Old 05-04-2005, 07:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm more thinking about MP2 here more than the donk. It wouldn't be out of reason for him to make a move himself on the turn, or he could be calling down with JJ or 1010. So does the CR here possibly get him to fold these holdings?

[/ QUOTE ]

For 1BB I think it's worth a try.