Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2005, 09:46 AM

Default Bunky\'s hand of the day. AA against a solid player.

Hey gang, last night was definitely a wild ride. Lost 2 huge pots to 1 outers and several 2 outers and still managed to bring a -58 bet losing session down to only losing 3 bets. I don't like posting beat hands so this hand I thought was mildly interesting, particularly the flop call.

Party Poker 5-10 (6 max)

Bunky is BB with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Villain in this hand is TAG and its not a donk. No idea how he views me. Though he probably views me as aggressive, just not sure if he has me as LAGGY or not.

UTG folds, MP folds, CO limps, Button (villain) raises, Sb folds, Bunky three bets, CO folds, villain caps, I call.

Flop 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
I check, call.

Turn 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
I check, villain bets, I checkraise, he calls.

River T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
I bet, villain raises, I three bet, villain calls.

Thoughts?
Old 05-03-2005, 09:55 AM

Default Re: Bunky\'s hand of the day. AA against a solid player.

I like it all.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey gang, last night was definitely a wild ride. Lost 2 huge pots to 1 outers and several 2 outers and still managed to bring a -58 bet losing session down to only losing 3 bets. I don't like posting beat hands so this hand I thought was mildly interesting, particularly the flop call.

Party Poker 5-10 (6 max)

Bunky is BB with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Villain in this hand is TAG and its not a donk. No idea how he views me. Though he probably views me as aggressive, just not sure if he has me as LAGGY or not.

UTG folds, MP folds, CO limps, Button (villain) raises, Sb folds, Bunky three bets, CO folds, villain caps, I call.

Flop 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
I check, call.

Turn 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
I check, villain bets, I checkraise, he calls.

River T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
I bet, villain raises, I three bet, villain calls.

Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the flop call and I think you milked this hand for all you could. I would bet out on the turn though. If he has overs he may check behind and if he has a premium pair you are going to get your three bet in on the turn and he may even cap although it might kill your action on the river.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:59 AM

I rarely cap pre flop then check first to act out of position. It should signal big hand to a thinking opp in my oppion. I think this might be a better line against a Laggy player IMO. Your cap might scare him into taking a free card if he has overs and he would still likley raise your flop bet with a pair. I do not think I like this line much but would be interested to here what others think. Check-raise or bet out on river seems better if you want to play the flop slow. (I am not sure of what you gain by this however)
Old 05-03-2005, 10:05 AM

opponent capped preflop
Old 05-03-2005, 10:12 AM

hey bunk, just a couple comments.

I really don't like your flop check - if he is going to call your planned turn check-raise, then you would have missed bets on the flop. If he isn't going to call your turn checkraise, you still missed bets on the flop.

I would take one of these lines:
bet-call, turn: bet-3bet (only if it bricks, and only if you know he's aggressive enough to raise a weak overpair again.

check/raise (call a 3bet), turn: bet-3bet (I really like this one - again, bet out the turn only if it bricks, but you can sucker him for the most this way
-if he only calls the flop checkraise, then bet the turn.
-if he does 3bet the flop, but you think he is good enough to smell the turn bet-3bet, then just turn c/r.

These lines will maximize value much better against the kind of hands your opponent will have. Your line is the "I don't really like money, so I'll let you keep some" line IMO.

Given your flop and turn play, your river bet-3bet is fine.

-DrG
Old 05-03-2005, 10:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
opponent capped preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

1. drink coffe
2. then reply to post.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:31 AM

Hi DrGutShot,

Your lines consisting of bet-3-betting the turn are pretty optimistic especially when they're the only lines that you suggest doing.

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Kailia
Old 05-03-2005, 10:34 AM

Hi Bunky,

Since there has been so much preflop aggression shown, I think checkraising the flop is a reaonable line, especially if you think he'd 3-bet you (so you can set up a turn checkraise).

But if you think he'd slow down on the flop after getting checkraised, I think a turn checkraise is just fine.

The river 3-bet is beautiful, I must say.

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Kailia
Old 05-03-2005, 10:40 AM

I like it.

Based on my interpretation of your player read, is it fair to think villain has something like AA-TT, AK, AQs? Possibly a few more, but not many. Vilain probably does not even cap with TT pf here.

This flop board obviously didnt help anyone out and there are no concievable draws, neither did turn. You have villain drawing to 2 outs or tied at best here.

I may have bet called flop... but the late street action you got here was wonderful. Good hand.