Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2005, 02:00 AM

Default Set of kings turning ugly

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP2 folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls.

River: (8.25 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12.25 BB

I need help with hands like this. It seems as if my AA and KK sets turn into straight draws for other players a lot. Was my flop and turn play good? Should I have check-called on the river? Considering his pre-flop and flop play, do you see him holding a J?

Thanks for any help.
Old 05-03-2005, 02:03 AM

Default Re: Set of kings turning ugly

Just bet, bet, bet here. These players will call you down with weaker hands anyway, often it will just be checked through, and sometimes weaker hands will give you more action. Preflop is good and the river is good. Just bet the flop and turn.
Old 05-03-2005, 02:04 AM

Lead the flop and 3-bet if possible. Lead the turn &amp; 3-bet if possible. Check/call the river if you don't have enough of a read on UTG to fold to a raise; any hand that will call a bet will bet if checked to, as will some hands that would fold if you lead out. Meanwhile, you lose less to a J.
Old 05-03-2005, 02:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
any hand that will call a bet will bet if checked to

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that's true in this situation at all.
Old 05-03-2005, 02:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think that's true in this situation at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the only hands that are calling a bet here (which Hero beats) are two pair, and the vast majority of players will bet that here if Hero checks. I'm discounting the possibility of a lower set because of UTG's line to this point in the hand.

Anyway, there are going to be exceptions to the rule, but with the strength that Hero has shown up til now + the 4-straight showing on the board, I think a lot hands without a J fold to that bet. If the guy likes his hand enough to call without the straight, it stands to reason that he'd like it enough to bet, too. My opinion, and I'm really really tired right now so I don't guarantee that I'm right. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-03-2005, 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It seems as if my AA and KK sets turn into straight draws for other players a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's because Party Poker is rigged to give bad beats on the river and reward chasers.

Seriously man, this hand was played fine. These beats don't happen as often as it seems, it's just your brain's feedback mechanism trying to take lessons and find patterns in random occurrences. You will always remember the bad beats more often than you remember the (more numerous) times that your set holds up and scoops you a big pot.

That's why it is so important to play theoretically correct poker, not try to just learn by playing. Welcome!
Old 05-03-2005, 02:32 AM

Lead the flop.
Old 05-03-2005, 02:35 AM

I totally missed that. Definitely lead the flop, or at least c/r after MP2 folds. Lead the turn in either case.
Old 05-03-2005, 02:38 AM

I think tons of the time the guy will call down with 2pair, TP, 2nd pair, lower set, but NOT bet/raise because of the possible str8. He almost always only bet with a J, but call with many more hands.