Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Hand #1
Fold 36 42.86%
Call 29 34.52%
Raise 19 22.62%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-03-2005, 12:30 AM

Default JTo in the cutoff

It's folded to you in the cutoff. You have JTo. Button is decent but probably folds too easily on the flop, SB is a LAG and will call or reraise close to 100% of the time, BB is loose passive and will probably call one more with anything but 72o-type trash.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:35 AM

Default Re: JTo in the cutoff

I think both options are close, but I like playing with bad players, so I raise.

If button was lag too, then folding is probably better.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:17 AM

Location: Condemned to a lifetime in the kiddie pool, where I will never make moves.

I voted fold. No fold equity, and the hand will probably be played 3 way. I want a little more high card power. It's close, so I don't think it matters much either way.

I'd raise it suited, though.

LAG + calling stations = tough situations.

The LAG will come at you often (forcing you to play passively more often), and you have to hit the board hard in order to raise a caller and bettor.

Also, where you might call down the LAG HU with second/bottom pair (and take many pots), it's going to be near impossible to do this with a 3rd person in the pot. Well, what I mean is that if you do this, you'll get outrun more often than HU.

If you think you may be ahead of the LAG, there's still some chance you may be behind the 'station'. Also, if you are ahead, there's two players drawing against you.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:05 AM

i voted fold because that would be common

if i think the odds that i'm going to win the blinds are significant then i raise plenty of hands in this spot but personally i prefer 87s to the greek flag - if i dont think stealing is going to happen i usually like to have a serious hand before i hit raise pre-flop

stripsqueez - chickenhawk
Old 05-03-2005, 10:42 AM

JTo is a bit above average "any2" and u got position on 2 players. I think this is a good raise.

If somone asked me if I wanted to play JTo against SB and BB, all of us posting 1 BB and I was told they aint to good at poker I would think it was a good deal.

Playing a semibad hand like this I think its important not always autobet flop. LAG will punish u 2 often, knowing u coming in with a lot. Not saying u should check a lot, but sometimes its hopeless. Like Q76 hearts and u got black JTo against these 2 guys. Also, that gives u a chance to check a house against same guys 2 hands later when u got AA and flop comes A44.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:35 PM

I'm kind of glad to see that people are split on this one since I wasn't really sure what my standard line should be here. When this came up in practice, I ended up folding. It seemed like a close decision, and I had just won a bunch of hands without a showdown. Because of this, I figured my chances of getting marginal hands to fold post-flop if I missed were reduced -- and of course there was basically no chance of winning it preflop. If I had just won a bunch of hands by actually showing down something good, I probably would have raised. That might be over-estimating my opponents' powers of observation, but since the decision is close anyway, it might make sense... no?
Old 05-04-2005, 01:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If somone asked me if I wanted to play JTo against SB and BB, all of us posting 1 BB and I was told they aint to good at poker I would think it was a good deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I literally laughed out loud. This is great.

You make a very valid point about being selective on a flop here though... You'll burn chips and should just fold pf if you are going to try and take charge of every flop.

Surf
Old 05-04-2005, 02:07 AM

Must must must raise.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:18 AM

Ever raise it from hijack Nikla?
Old 05-04-2005, 02:13 PM

Yes.