Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2005, 04:41 PM

Default Table selection help

I'd like to hear best methods for selecting tables. I have PokerTracker and have been simply parking at tables and pulling up each player's stats. There's gotta be a more efficient way. Advice appreciated.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:17 PM

Default Re: Table selection help

If you play at a site that displays them, check out the flop percentages. A table with 40% of the players seeing the flop is generally a good table with some fish and LAGs. You can also keep a buddy list of the worst players you've seen and actively look for them before you sit down.

If you can't see flop percentages, don't assume that large pots make a good table. A bunch of good players making good tactical raises can be deceiving. Lastly, just watch an orbit and see how many players cold call raises. If you find a table with 3-4 players cold-calling consistently, then you've found a great table.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:22 PM

I dont even bother. If youre gonna play 3 or more tables, whats the point? all the games on party are pretty good.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:48 PM

I should have mentioned that I do keep a buddy list of fish and use that as a first screen. Your other stuff sounds good.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:03 PM

ohh bad advice. keep bothering . All the tables aren't good. And some are great./ Table selection is very important to a winning poker game
Old 05-02-2005, 10:18 PM

Rate the players and export your notes. Before you sit down you can easily see if you have played with anyone before, and just by putting your mouse cursor over their name you can see what kind of player they are.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:21 PM

I think that seat selection is just as important as table selection. If you have a super fish and 8 TAGs, that doesn't necessarily make it a good table if you're a couple seats to fish's right. If you can sit to the immediate left of uber-fish, you've got a good spot, though. I pick a decent table to start on then play the patience game waiting for good seats next to my "buddies".
Old 05-03-2005, 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think that seat selection is just as important as table selection. If you have a super fish and 8 TAGs, that doesn't necessarily make it a good table if you're a couple seats to fish's right. If you can sit to the immediate left of uber-fish, you've got a good spot, though. I pick a decent table to start on then play the patience game waiting for good seats next to my "buddies".

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? That's my reaction. Now to the question.

I will not argue who you should have to your right and/or left. There is much debate about the subject and it is not the purpose of this thread. I am left to wonder, however, how those who advocate premium seat selection pull it off.

I will be forever in your debt if you would please enlighten me and show me how you routinely select the proper seat. Is it simply a matter of leaving a "bad" seat? If that's the case, then no seat selection has taken place, but rather an observation made of a bad one and a willingness to move.

Seat selection, I believe is more applicable to live play where one can request an open seat elsewhere. This option is not available to the online player. Maybe "Seat Abandonement" should replace this overused online phrase.

Onaflag............
Old 05-03-2005, 01:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

ohh bad advice. keep bothering . All the tables aren't good. And some are great./ Table selection is very important to a winning poker game

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-03-2005, 02:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? That's my reaction. Now to the question.

I will not argue who you should have to your right and/or left. There is much debate about the subject and it is not the purpose of this thread. I am left to wonder, however, how those who advocate premium seat selection pull it off.

I will be forever in your debt if you would please enlighten me and show me how you routinely select the proper seat. Is it simply a matter of leaving a "bad" seat? If that's the case, then no seat selection has taken place, but rather an observation made of a bad one and a willingness to move.

Seat selection, I believe is more applicable to live play where one can request an open seat elsewhere. This option is not available to the online player. Maybe "Seat Abandonement" should replace this overused online phrase.

Onaflag............

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is that difficult? Watch as many tables as you want, get on waitlists for ones with really bad players, when offered a seat at said table, see where it is. If its in a good spot, take it. If not, don't, then get back on the list.

I think this is easier online than live. Yes, live I can easily move much more easily at the same table, and I may be able to spot a few bad players at another table or two. But will you be able to keep tabs on 8 other tables full of people while you play on another?

I probably haven't been playing as long as you, so if you can enlighten me as to how this doesn't work, great. Since I've started doing this, though, I have had some success.