Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2005, 02:14 PM

Default Live Rebuy Tournament Question

Hi all,

I'm going to play in a live nlhe tourney at my local B&M tomorrow night. It is a 65+10 entry fee which gets you 1000 chips with 1 rebuy of 60.00 for an additional 1000 chips which can be made at registration or anytime in the first two hours of play, if chip count is less than 1000 during first 3 levels or less than 3000 in 4-6th levels. Who likes to take the rebuy upfront before losing any chips and why, or conversly go broke first and then rebuy?

Don't know how much people like to gamble in these so I don't have a feeling yet for starting hand requirements but plan on playing conservatively (tight/agressive)since the stakes for me are relatively high. In an online for $5.00 or $10.00 rebuy I'll usually go a little crazy early on trying to build a stack with speculative hands in late position like 98s or JTs. Can't see myself doing that in this one unless I can limp in to hit a monster.

Thanks for the input.
Old 05-02-2005, 03:01 PM

Default Re: Live Rebuy Tournament Question

i like to insta-rebuy to take advantage of the guy who likes pushing marginal hands pre-flop. you're probably only giving up a little bit of EV if you don't though, and it will keep the effective buy-in lower.
Old 05-02-2005, 07:59 PM

I'm a huge advocate of insta-rebuys and in the live rebuys I play I have done it everytime.. and it has led to better play and better results IMHO... albeit with some higher variance
Old 05-02-2005, 08:08 PM

Assuming the majority of people will rebuy right away, you will be losing money if you don't.

For instance: If you don't rebuy, and double up through a hand, you will be at 2000 chips. If you DO rebuy, and you double up, you will be at 4000 chips.

By not insta-rebuying, if you double up to 2000, you have NOT won 1000 chips, rather, you have lost 2000 chips.

Make sense?