Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2005, 08:11 AM

Default Sloth\'s Guide to Sweat and the Chat Box...

I've been thinking about this a lot since last night. I think we unintentionally did SoBe a great dis-service. I'm guilty of it myself, but pointing out what we thought about the odds on the call he passed up was not the best of ideas.

I attempted to rectify the situation by preaching tightness at a point where opening up was clearly the best strategy, only to have several 2+2ers tell me that I was wrong and why. I know I was giving bad advice, that was the point. Even if it helps tighten up 1 out of 8 players (and I think that's a low estimate) it could be a huge help.

So perhaps we need to establish some sort of guidelines for the chat box while we sweat our peers. Any suggestions?

I'd really like to get a concensus on how we feel on this issue, so next time someone asks for sweat we don't do anything to potentially cost them.

-sloth
Old 05-02-2005, 08:36 AM

Default Re: Sloth\'s Guide to Sweat and the Chat Box...

Yeah I love the idea.

I also think we 'talk' to the people we're sweating way to much sometimes. If we're talking about WSOP sats or Sunday tournaments, they really need to concentrate.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:47 AM

hmmmm, you had me fooled. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] Inadvertently, your comments caused me to comment, otherwise, I would have been quieter.

I did think it was inappropriate to debate/'berate his BB fold during the break and I did not participate, there, though I posted a question to the '* official *' thread.

Perhaps a post to the '* offical *' thread and an indication that you will promote the 'opposite' a-la George Costanza would get everyone on the same page.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:00 AM

how about you simply don't talk strategy at all in the chat box. would that be such a hard thing to do? go in there, root on the trout, but save the thinking part for here.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:06 AM

So you would be against my encouraging the other players to play wrong? It's been my experience that there are at least a few here who appreciate such an effort. If someone would prefer I didn't of course I would refrain.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:48 AM

I think throwing in a "good luck XXXX" or "YES!!!" on a big hand win is ok, but honestly, when you are to the point where sweat is appropriate, the last thing you want to do is divert any attention from the game to chat. I know when I get deep there are times I completely miss chat because I am focussed so intently on the action.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:28 AM

I think there are definitely times where this can be very beneficial to our trout-o-the-day. MLG's $350K win comes to mind. I remember reading his ty post to the group that showed up just b4 the final table and chatted about what a shame it would be to bust out now. All the while MLG was on a blind feeding frenzy.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:04 PM

Sometimes I turn off observer chat. THis helps!!
Old 05-02-2005, 02:13 PM

I am guilty.

I just threw up in my own mouth when I saw him fold getting 3.6:1. I wont do it again.

-Jason
Old 05-02-2005, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am guilty.

I just threw up in my own mouth when I saw him fold getting 3.6:1. I wont do it again.

-Jason

[/ QUOTE ]

3.03:1 !!!!