Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2005, 03:09 AM

Default How should I track my SNG progress

This is my first post. I've been playing for about 6 months on Pacific Poker. I'm thinking about making this my main source of income, so I want to start tracking my progress and really analyzing my play some more.

I play $30 5 person tournaments at Pacific Poker and make about $300/week right now (playing from 25 to 35 hours a week). I don't use any programs to track my stats right now and would like some suggestions that would work for Pacific Poker. Also, what is ROI and ITM?? I've been doing pretty well as is, but I figure tracking could only help, Thanks
Old 05-02-2005, 03:13 AM

Default Re: How should I track my SNG progress

Find and download either AleoMagus' spreadsheet or Hoods (I think). I have been using AM's and I love it.

ROI = Return on Investment. Profit/Buy-in (including rake). There are varying opinions on what a "good" ROI is, but you could ask the guy who's running at 50%.

ITM = In the Money. Fairly explanatory.
Old 05-02-2005, 03:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I play $30 5 person tournaments at Pacific Poker and make about $300/week right now (playing from 25 to 35 hours a week).

[/ QUOTE ]

You better not move to Norway if you plan on making a living with that kind of winrate.
I would play more than 6 months before i made any permanent descision about making a living out of poker, possibly having some sort of part time work as a backup.

If you use the search function you can find many post about this subject.
Good luck.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:33 AM

Save up $25,000+, bump your win-rate to over $1,000 a week and then think about quitting your job.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:24 AM

I pretty much use only one thing to track my progress. $

As for improving my game, paying attention while I am playing does a pretty good job. Sometimes I know I did something stupid right after doing it, sometimes I notice it while going through the hand history and sometimes I notice it when a better player talks about a similar situation on this forum.

But my advice is to not get into ROI, ITM, distribution of 1st/2nd/3rd as a way to improve your way. Down that road lies madness.
Old 05-05-2005, 03:44 AM

sorry I'm not quitting my job, but right now the best job i can find pays me $10 an hour since I just got out of college. So making $300/400 a week is not bad for me. Basically my shitty job and poker pay me about the same and I like poker better . . . Also I'm trying to save a bankroll, but yes I understand what you're saying
Old 05-05-2005, 03:51 AM

It will be very difficult to make a living playing SnGs at Pacific. While its accepted that the play there is quite weak, you can only play one table. The real money comes from being able to play 4 (or even 8) tables at once. You level of play drops slightly, but you $/hr increases greatly.
[ QUOTE ]
I've been doing pretty well as is, but I figure tracking could only help

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, tracking your results will in no way increase your pervormance at the tables. What it will do, however, is allow you to examine your results, and gain insight into what sort of projections you can make, how large your variance is, what times of day you do best at, etc etc etc.

[ QUOTE ]
the best job i can find pays me $10 an hour since I just got out of college.

[/ QUOTE ]
This makes me want to cry
Old 05-05-2005, 04:50 AM

wow you been playing a few months less than me and your doing that awesome.. keep up the good work your a poker pro
Old 05-05-2005, 04:56 AM

or hes on a long term heater since he probably has well below 1000 tourneys logged
Old 05-05-2005, 05:37 AM

Listen, I apologize. It was a very stupid post. This was my first post, and I just wanted to kind of test the waters. I know you must get a lot of stupid posts about people quitting their jobs and it was just a ridiculous thing to post. I'm also just not used to posting in general and now understand I should have just done a search of previous posts to get information on poker tracking software. Just cut me a little slack. It was my first post and not well thought out. I'm here because I truly want to make myself a better poker player while I have some time on my hands.