Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2005, 12:24 AM

Default Issues with continuation bets?

I'm a pretty tight player...10K hands, 19%VPIP (I just started playing 6 max, so this has gone up a bit as of late), pf raise 6.5%. Here's my problem.

I raise 4xBB plus one for callers EVERY time I raise, no exceptions. I continuation bet 95% of the time (I generally won't if there's quite a few callers and the flop is real ugly for me). I've learned a few things but mainly is don't overplay tptk or overpairs. Here's the problem, basically if someone is still with me after my continuation bet I almost feel I have to back off because no one is sticking around for the pf raise, then the 2/3 continuation bet without a big hand. Say I raise AK and hit the K. By the time my continuation bet is called, the pot is pretty large and I know TPTK or overpairs don't hold up well in large pots. Am I supposed to lay off on the turn bet even if it means a free card? Plus, I feel like if someone reraises my flop bet (assuming it's not a minraise) I have to fold. (i've been completely lit up with other guys sets in the past week, I'm down a few hundred)

Any thoughts, suggestions? How do you deal with the turn?

For example, say stacks are even, I'm on the button....2 limpers, I raise 4xBB plus one for callers on the button with AKs. They both call.

Flop comes A 10 5, two suited (not my suit)
Checked to me, I bet 2/3, one calls

Turn comes blank
Checked to me....are you firing again? If he calls this, you're likely beat, no? If he puts a decent bet into you are you dropping the hand? Do you check and give him a free shot at his possible flush draw? I'm looking for some insight.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:00 AM

Default Re: Issues with continuation bets?

You seem to be playing scared poker. The VAST majority of the time that you get in a situation like the last hand you described, you are DOMINATING the other player. You have no reason to believe that you are not best yet!! This is where you make most of your money at small stakes: value betting. Keep firing that TPTK. "TPTK and overpairs don't play well in large pots" is not true. They play poorly in large MULTIWAY pots, but even then that doesn't mean that they don't win a good chunk of the time! I am especially content with my AK there vs your average $100 NL or less player heads up.

Keep betting your hands for value. If they suddenly wake up with a fat reraise on the river and the board has gone from AT3 to AT3JT, then you can consider releasing. The simple fact of the matter is that at small stakes, far too many players overplay their hands, and by that I mean they call down with mediocre holdings. If you don't keep charging them for playing like that, how can you beat them?

This has been a bit emotional and disorganized, but words cannot express how important it is to get value out of hands like that AK in small stakes hold em. They will set sometimes, yes, but you will learn to detect when they REALLY have something and when they are just calling you down like the floundering suckers that they are.

Post some hands where you are unsure, I'd be glad to help.

-Kings