Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2005, 11:52 PM

Default Bad call or bad luck?

This is a $1 BB, 6 max at Absolute so no converter. This, me hitting a second best monster, seems to be happening to me a lot lately so I'm posting this one.

Villian has $70 in MP
Hero has $123 on button with 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

UTG folds, Villian raises to $3, one folds, Hero calls, SB calls, BB folds.

$10...flop 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Checks to hero (Hmmm....villian missed the flop?, I've got top set so I'm not concerned with the slowplay), hero bets $8, SB calls, Villian calls

$34...turn K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
checks to hero, hero bets $15, SB folds, Villian calls (Hmm..he hit his king?)

$64...flop 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Villian bets $24 (blocking bet?), Hero minraises (he mistakenly thought that put Villian all in), Villian pushes his remaining stack, Hero calls.

Obviously going by the subject of the thread you know I lost and given the board villian either had 77 (although he likely wouldn't have raised pf with that) or cowboys. It was cowboys....I had just recently sat down at the table so no read. Given his somewhat weak pf raise 3xBB and his checked flop, I had him on Big slick, AQ, maybe AJ. Once he bet the turn, I thought Big Slick or since it's 6 max, I thought maybe KQs, KJs. Obviously I was wrong. Do you guys fold on his turn bet? considering there are only two PP that beat me, I can't see myself laying this down but since this has happened frequently to me in the past week or so I thought I'd post the hand for some input.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:06 AM

Default Re: Bad call or bad luck?

I like both flop/turn bet
push to his blocking bet

AK/AA pays you off here more so than KK

tough beat...move on [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 05-02-2005, 01:15 AM

The only way you get away from that hand is if raises you pre-flop and you fold. Your moneys going in once you see the flop regardless. He just has to show you K-K or 7-7, thats all there is to it. Just one of those hands you can't get away from. Re-load and move on.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:39 AM

No way to get away from it.

[ QUOTE ]
Do you guys fold on his turn bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? He check/called the turn, right?
If you mean the river bet, IMHO, folding would be terrible and pushing is standard.

PS: Welcome to the club of 2nd best hands [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-02-2005, 01:42 AM

The way this hand played out, I don't think I'm ever folding here. If he has Quads or the Kings then you lose your stack. That's it. I'd lead for more on the turn, though. You're giving diamonds a nice price to chase. Not to mention he's probably not calling anything when he misses his draw. Get a bit more money in while he's still willing.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:54 AM

First, this is bad luck. You pray for this kind of flop situation to happen.

I think in this situation the most important fact us your read on villian. Is he the type of player that will make the same raise preflop with AK,AQ as with AA or KK? If he is then I support popping his preflop raise back to get an idea of where you are. If he is conservative and goes for a big reraise, then you can lay down right there. Preflop you were getting murdered. Once the flop hits and you have a set, I think you need to be more agressive. There are two players still in the hand with a flush draw and a wierd but believable straight draw on the board. This is the time to win the pot or nail down the lid to their mathematical coffin. I think you should have bet about $15 on the flop. You get rid of the SB and villian probably still calls you. But, there is also the chance that villian is slowplaying his kings and thinks you have JJ or maybe QQ. If you make a bigger bet on the flop, he may make think this is his opportunity and make a very large reraise or possibly go all-in thinking he owns you. Then you go all-in when you are getting the best of it. Those are my two-cents.

All things considered though, I think you played the hand fine. Just a little monday morning QBing to give some food for thought.
Old 05-02-2005, 02:00 AM

I believe overbetting the flop will chase out too many hands. It's pretty hard to put him on Kings there.