Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2005, 02:42 PM

Default Terminology: Using the word \"nut\".

It seems to me like this is a point of contention among players I sit with so I was wondering if there was an accepted standard.

Can you use the word "nut" to describe your hand if you don't have the best possible hand, just the best possible hand of a given hand rank? E.g., having the "nut flush" on a paired board? Having the "nut straight" on a 3-flush board? What about nut flush when there is a straight flush possible? I contend that you cannot, "the nuts" are unbeatable, the best possible straight is not the nut straight if a flush or full house are possible. No one with top two pair would say, "Nut two pair", even though it is the best possible two pair. Some people swear the other way.

Thoughts?

P.S. anyone feel need for another term like, "exclusive nuts", when you have the only card(s) that make the best possible hand, e.g. the Ace of a flush suit with no SF possible, as opposed to having an ace on a 2TJQK board and chopping your nuts four ways?

P.P.S. There is not much more painful than chopping your nuts four ways.
Old 05-01-2005, 02:46 PM

Default Re: Terminology: Using the word \"nut\".

I just thought of something, and that is the difference between the adjective "nut" and noun "the nuts", nut modifying a noun to mean, "the best possible", while "the nuts" means "best possible hand period." if this is the case then the best possible flush is the nut flush even if it is not the best possible hand.
Old 05-01-2005, 03:21 PM

If this is your most pressing question then you must have one airtight poker game. Anyway, not that it matters but yes you can describe a hand as the "nut flush" or "nut straight" without it being the best possible hand. Only the term "The Nuts" means the best possible hand.

Good luck,
Matt
Old 05-01-2005, 04:10 PM

'the nuts' was a flush and the 'nut flush'. That's the difference... Wasn't that hard. Why else would you need the terms 'nut flush', 'nut straight' and stuff when you could described it simply as 'the nuts'?
Old 05-01-2005, 06:22 PM

be like "deez nuts b1tch!"
Old 05-01-2005, 06:32 PM

"The nuts," "nut flush" and "nut straight" describe different things. If you have an ace-high flush, you have the "nut flush." Unless the board is paired or there is a possible straight flush, you have the nuts. If the board is paired, or a straight flush is possible, your nut flush still beats all other flushes, and all lower hands, but may not be the nuts.

Same thing for the nut straight.

I don't see any problem with the terminology.
Old 05-01-2005, 06:38 PM

on a related subject i have been using the term "taint" for the second nuts - it came about when i was stoned and playing poker one day and i decided that the second nut hand was right next to the nut hand and therefore made the correlation to the taint beinf right next to the nuts
Old 05-01-2005, 06:59 PM

I like the term, nut no pair. Also the unnut flush when you have 23s and make a flush.
Old 05-01-2005, 07:19 PM

Who cares...