Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2005, 12:47 PM

Default MTT Beginner: Hand 1 from 200k $9+1 Qualifier

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter

Hero (t1000)
UTG+1 (t1000)
UTG+2 (t1000)
MP1 (t1000)
MP2 (t1000)
MP3 (t1000)
CO (t1000)
Button (t1000)
SB (t1000)
BB (t1000)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Hero calls t15, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls t15, MP3 calls t15, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t72.50) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets t50</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t150</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, SB folds, BB calls t100.

Turn: (t372.50) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t225, BB raises to t835 (all-in), Hero calls t610 (all-in).</font>
River: (t2045) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Please comment on all actions, thank you.
Old 05-01-2005, 12:51 PM

Default Re: MTT Beginner: Hand 1 from 200k $9+1 Qualifier

I think this looks pretty standard. If the BB happened to flop a straight, you have to pay to see it...and even if he did you've got 10 outs to a boat on the river.

There are a bunch of ways this can be played, but I don't think your line was bad.
Old 05-01-2005, 12:53 PM

Looks like you got a nice river.

It seems like BB has a straight on the flop or something crazy like that. Hope it wasnt set over set. You played it well I think.
Old 05-01-2005, 12:56 PM

Sherrif Brody to Hooper: "I think we need a bigger boat"

Looks pretty standard, your hope though is the BB had a str8 and not the bigger boat.
Old 05-01-2005, 03:16 PM

I might have played this differently on all streets, however I could also lose all my chips if villain has an over set.

Preflop: I would fold 44 UTG, starting hand selection is crucial and I don't like this one.

After flop: I would raise to T225 (for information), overbetting substantially. If BB calls or raises he will most likely have top 2pr, a set or a flopped str8. Unfortunately the big bet has anounced that you most likely have top 2pr, a set, or a flopped str8. Given BB most likely range of hands, I would not provoke him by betting any more regardless of what came on the turn and the river (barring a 4). I also would not be folding the hand in a 9$ tournament on the first hand. I'm calling but not initiating.

The turn: I can't see BB leading the flop with a drawing hand. This is one of those situations where you are either way ahead or way behind. Its a shame you have no info on BB.
FYI there are about 15 ways to make 2 pr
32 ways to make a str8
and 6 ways to make an over set.
I check behind him and go broke on the river.
Old 05-01-2005, 03:58 PM

Your analysis is all wrong in my opinion.

Preflop: I agree that your hand selection is crucial, but early on in a multi-table tournament, especially a satellite, you need to see flops with hands that have an opportunity to bust someone. Any pair or suited connector is an example of this. If you can see a flop for only 1/50th of your stack, and have the possibility of flopping a set and doubling up early, you need to take it. The hands you don't really want to see flops with early in a tournament are your AJ, AT and even AQ, because when you flop an A, it becomes hard to get away from.

Flop: He did raise to get information. At this point, you have to realize that you have a set of 4's and you are playing a satellite where there are a lot of crazy players who bust out on the first hand by overplaying an over-pair, top pair, or even open ended straight draw. His raise is more for value then, because i don't see you getting away from this hand in a $9 tourney. The only way i see myself folding this, is if a 4-straight comes and i am facing a big bet.

Turn: are you suggesting that he checks behind on the turn? That's what it seemed when you said that "he should not initiate the betting". That would be a big mistake, because you are hanging yourself if another straight card hits the river.

Finally, i dont think you quite understand the way-ahead or way-behind concept. I agree that he MAY be behind here, but set over set is HIGHLY unlikely given the players that these tourneys attract, and he is drawing very live against a straight, which i also think is highly unlikely. The way ahead or way behind thing deals with situations where there is no value in betting a very good hand if you are only gonna be called or raised by an even better hand. People will call with all sorts of holding on the first hand of a satellite, so there is a lot of value in betting a set.

Hope I made sense.
Old 05-01-2005, 05:31 PM

This is my line of thinking.

Pre-flop: I feel that seeing a cheap flop (so long as it goes unraised) here is not a terrible idea as I might get lucky and flop a set and pick up some chips from the "wild boys" (i.e. "It's only a $9+1 satelite") who will mix things up early with weak holdings.

Flop: I am feel good about my hand, but I am not crazy about the three straightening cards with 3 limpers. When the big-blind bet, I felt he could have a variety of hands (e.g. from top-pair inside straight draw to two pair to an over set.) I felt it was unlikely for him to have a made straight as he would have checked the flop because there are not too many cards that hurt him on the turn and the pot is not big enough to make winning it on the flop very worth while. I raise for two reasons, to eliminate people drawing for straights behind me (not concerned about flushes because of rainbow flop, therefore ~pot-sized raise is addequate) and gain some info on BB's hand.

Turn: Unlikely that the 10 helped him (I ruled out TT for obvious reasons. Is this a mistake?) and his check did not give me any info. I felt 60% of the pot was a good amount because it forces him to invest 39% of his stack in the pot. Unfortunately, I have also put 39% of my stack in the pot with bottom set. At this point, in my mind I am very commited and I am not folding. Should I think that he may recognize the folding equity gained because it is the first hand and this may give him a reason to try and get me off the hand? He can really not force me out of the pot with any hand besides a push (t75+2(150)+225=t600) versus his t610 raise when he pushes without looking weak (in my eyes). I made the call almost imedeiately as I do not have much respect for the play of most at this point in a $9+1 satelite.

How wrong is my line? Any glaring errors? What adjustments should I make in the future?
Old 05-02-2005, 03:55 AM

I'm guessing you lost this one, but you played it fine. Don't be surprised when the guy turns over AT next time.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:25 AM

He didn't lose, he had 4s full of 10s...
Old 05-02-2005, 07:58 AM

Here's my analysis.

I like the pre-flop call, as flopping a set is a great way to accumulate chips early. Also, 44 is an easy hand to get away from if miss the flop completely.

On the flop, I like the raise, to get rid of the drawing hands. You are unlikely to get rid of any 6, but you need to make him pay to draw. With BB's bet of 50, I don't think he can have more than a pair of 5s, maybe with a 6 for an OESD. After he flat calls your raise, I rule out an overset and a flopped straight.

On the turn, it is unlikely the 10 helped him, unless he has pocket 10s. His push indicates to me that he might have an overpair, but with his flat call on the flop, I still don't even think he is that strong. I am calling his push every time, given this action.

I wouldn't be surprised if Villain turns over 6x, for the strongly played OESD, and he might have a pair with that x. Your line is fine.