Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2005, 05:59 PM

Default Clarification on Bankroll

I'm somewhat new to poker, and I've been hearing a lot about bankrolls as compared to playing bankrolls. If I hear that someone has a $100 bankroll for a .5/1 game, does this mean he is putting his hundred on the table each buy-in? What about for a NL bankroll? It seems to me that it would be very dangerous to play with your whole bankroll. How much do you need, for example to play $25 NL?
Thanks, I'm new to the forum, hoping to be able to contribute.
Old 04-30-2005, 06:36 PM

Default Re: Clarification on Bankroll

i'd usually take 30xBB in the limit games.... .50/1=$30
i only sng these days, but if memory serves i believe the NL games are cap'd...$25=$25.
Old 04-30-2005, 06:39 PM

Default Re: Clarification on Bankroll

Your bankroll typically refers to your total available money. You should never ever sit down with your entire bankroll. A $100 bankroll is pretty slim for a $.5/$1 game. 200+ big bets is better. 300 is the "standard" advice. For NL games, 20 buy-ins seems to be the "standard" advice so for $25 NL you'd want to have $500 available. Obviously you'd be sitting with $25.

The whole concept of a bankroll is that this is all the money you'll ever have to play with. In other words, if you lose it all you'll never play again. If you don't mind losing your bankroll and re-depositing obviously you don't need this much.

Bankroll considerations are difficult to grasp until your 2nd or 3rd losing streak when you finally realize good poker players lose frequently though they win in the long run. Your bankroll size is what gets you to the long run without going broke during the inevitable bad luck spells.